Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 05-12-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Dreamcast Appreciation Post

Skies of Arcadia was an AWESOME DC game!

I also was addicted to Phantasy Star Online.

Great system I agree. I was a total Sega Fanboy!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:04 AM

Metropolis Street Racer [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2007, 08:01 PM

No love for Power Stone (2?)
Old 05-12-2007, 08:19 PM

My cat is named Kilik
Old 05-12-2007, 10:20 PM

i loved my dreamcast.

and then, i loved it even more when i got a burnt cd with 910 (yes, nine hundred and ten!) original nintendo games on it.

i had a running bet with my friends for $5 that they couldn't come up with a nintendo game that WASN'T on it...i ended up winning 15 bucks before they figured out they weren't going to win...

we'd be having poker nights, and i had a ps2 + 40" flat screen in one room, but everyone would be in the backroom playing nintendo on an old 25" screen...
Old 05-13-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

PS2, the most over-hyped and under performing major system ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO Yes, without a doubt.

Great post by the way..."O RLY" How original and informative. If you disagree, how about explaining why?
Old 05-13-2007, 04:54 AM

I'm sorry, just never heard this sentiment before. I didn't mean to upset you with my unoriginal and uninformative reply, I just felt it was appropriate given you throwing that claim out there seemingly as accepted fact with no explaination.

As far as why I disagree, I guess the main reason is that the PS2 had/has a ton of really good games compared to other systems, and I still play mine all the time. Another reason is that there have, IMO, been a lot of crappy major systems, especially compared to the PS2.

Perhaps it was overhyped, I'm not sure about that or why it even matters, but I surely do not think that it was underperforming, let alone the most underperforming system ever. Then again, I guess it could depend somewhat on your definition of "performing".
Old 05-13-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

O RLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO Yes, without a doubt.

Great post by the way..."O RLY" How original and informative. If you disagree, how about explaining why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking your statement at face value, it sounds absolutely ridiculous. Define "under performing". Are you referring to the hardware? That's a statement that is at least somewhat defendable. If you're referring to how well it did for Sony, I find it ridiculous. If you're talking about how consumers wanted bigger and better games on the PS2 than what they got, I find it ridiculous.

So what exactly are you saying?
Old 05-13-2007, 12:18 PM

Hyped-

Exaggerated publicity; hoopla, an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.

For the hyped part, I'm largely referring to the pre launch hype surrounding the PS2 release back in the year 2000.

Here are some quotes from a Newsweek article that ran in 2000.

" But the most significant aspect of the PS2 might be its ability to hook into the Internet, making it a "Trojan horse" to bring online gaming, e-commerce, Web browsing, e-mail and downloading of music, software and video into the home.

Trojan horse huh? Sweet!

You can communicate to a new cybercity," gushes Ken Kutaragi, the visionary behind the PlayStation. "This will be the ideal home server. Did you see the movie 'The Matrix'? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into 'The Matrix'!"

It was great fun jacking into the Matrix.

The secret is the Emotion Engine, a fast, high-powered chip set that is fine-tuned to generate polygons, the building blocks of 3-D graphics. While the original PlayStation could handle a mere 360,000 polygons per second, version 2 can spit out more than 20 million: it's a jump from "South Park" to "Toy Story."

Toy Story Quality Graphics? Still waiting for those.

"It's historic, a mass-market appliance that fundamentally changes society in the way the printing press did," says Trip Hawkins, founder of Electronic Arts and CEO of 3DO. "This is a new canvas for humanity that takes us back to our nature."

Change society the way the printing press did?
Not even close.

Things like this went on for nearly a year, not to mention how apparently the PS2 was suppose to be so powerful it could launch nukes. That was a mainstream media story for a while during late 2000.

Here's a link to how Iraq bought 4,000 PS2's because they bought into the hype.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2000/12...laystation_2s/

Thus, I stand by my original comment, most over-hyped system in history.

By under-performing I simply meant it didn't deliver or come close to delivering on all the hype that surrounded it.

No doubt it was a huge success with consumers, sold over 100 million consoles world wide and made millions of gamers happy.

However, it did not perform in the areas that were touted by Sony, and live up to all the pre launch hype.

That is why I believed it under-peformed, it did not deliver on what was promised by the Sony hype machine.