Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 12-12-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Confession: I don\'t like Simpsons

Oh, I feel like my eight-chambered Klingon heart has been pierced by the stolen holy Sword of Kahless! Soon, Kortar shall take me across the dark waters to Gre'thor ... Farewell!
Old 12-13-2006, 12:34 AM

Blarg,

Not that you really need the ego-boost, but after kioshk's post, I wanted to make sure you knew someone appreciated it. Awesome post.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that the Simpsons is considered one of the greatest shows ever, especially by people in my age group (mid-20's). People talk about how deep and layered and brilliant and hilarious it is.

But I just don't get it. I mean it's okay. If I was on a desert island and had to choose between 3 seasons of Simpsons or 3 seasons of Family Guy, I would easily pick Simpsons. I'd pick Simpsons over a lot of shows. But genius? Eh.

When I was 8-11 first watching it I loved it obviously. As I got older though it stopped working for me. The past few years I've been watching the DVD's; I just finished Disc 1 of Season 3, which is supposed to be when it really got great. Still not doing it for me.

So what am I missing? One of the problems I have with it is that it's just a typical sitcom, animated. I hate typical sitcoms. I hate lame manipulative emotional endings that "show how close they are as a family".

I read an article that talked about the decline of the show through the years. It said how back in it's heyday, an episode would end with Homer tenderly putting his arm around Marge as they walked into the sunset. But now it would end with him nonsensically blowing a dart into her neck. I don't know how good or bad the execution of it actually is, but as a general rule I would far prefer the latter.

One scene that I loved in a newer episode from few years ago was when they did Hamlet. At the end, back in front of the couch, Bart says something about the story being lame. Homer responds with "...but Hamlet was made into a hit movie called...Ghostbusters" at which point the Ghostbusters theme plays, they dance, and the episode ends. I love that scene and that's the type of humor I would prefer from the show.

Anyway - should I finish up the third season (called one of the best) before I give up on it completely?

Points of reference: I think Seinfeld is the most brilliant comedy ever, and Arrested Development (which I've only recently seen) is also incredible - both are in my top 5 overall shows. Family Guy is very overrated. It has a lot of that ridiculousness that I like, but ultimately falls flat. South Park is much better than FG and Simpsons. Spinal Tap yay, Ghostbusters yay, Dr. Strangelove yay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read your other posts but I'm willing to bet you'd like something more outlandish like Aqua Teen Hunger Force or Sealab 2021