Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2006, 09:47 AM

Default Luxor Ruling

Hi everyone,

I would love to have some feedback on an ugly situation at the Luxor (moments ago).

I'm hitting a lot of rooms on Monday night when a friend of mine calls and wants to hit the luxor for some poker. We're soon in the same game, his beautiful wife is sweating him; it's a fun table and all is right with the world.

Then this hand comes up..........

I'm heads-up against a player with what I think is the best hand on every street.

I raised pre-flop (this is a NL game, btw), bet the flop, and then on the turn.......
He checks and I move all-in.

When I move all in, I'm shoving my stack in evenly with both hands. Right before I cross the betting line, the dealer (C.P.) says, "He's all-in (and even mentions the dollar amount for the table, which was 100% accurate on the amount).

As I'm crossing the betting line (a split second after C.P.'s announced my all-in), my right hand beats my left hand over the line by a fraction of a second (but still in one obvious motion).
My lone opponent immediately yells, "string bet".

I say, "What?"

We go back and forth and the floor is called.

The floor, listens to C.P. The Dealer's account of what happened.

C.P. says he never announced anything and that I put my right hand out with chips and then thought for a moment and then put more chips out with my left hand.

Well, I've seen fire and I've seen rain, but I have NEVER seen or heard anything as bizarre as this.

Okay, based on the dealer's total disparage from the truth, I'll probably lose the ruling but I want to at least state the facts as I know them to the floorman.

I say to the floor man, calmly and cooly at this point, "Can I say what happened from my viewpoint."

He says, "No".

I say, "You are not going to listen to my version of what happened?"

He then says, "You can tell me anything you want but I've already made up my mine and I'm ruling against you".

I now lost my cool (and decided to leave the room within seconds). I don't think I'll be back.

So my questions to you my poker playing friends...........

1) Based on the dealer announcing my all-in and him also saying the dollar amount of my all-in, does it then matter if my right hand went over the betting line a fraction of a second before my left hand?

2) Even IF the Luxor Floorman decided, before he heard what really happened, that he would rule against me......

Is it good business to tell a patron of your room that, "You can tell me anything you want but I've already made up my mine and I'm ruling against you"?

Should he at least hear what you have to say?

3) Am I just a big baby?

I usually just announce "all-in". But, before I could do it, the dealer announced it for me. Probably won't ever happen again, but, the way the floorman handled it was a new low in poker management in my humble opinion.

Thanks in advance for any feedback either agreeing or disagreeing with me. I'll take tough love from you and Lord knows I can be wrong.

Thanks for any feedback.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Best Wishes

Howard