Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 10-13-2006, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Yanks\' Lidle was poker fanatic

I have no opinion on Lidle as a person. I do however think it's better to trash people after they die. If they are alive you will just make the feel like doodoo.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

By all accounts he seemed like a great guy. Sucks what happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lisa Olson's column today certainly agrees with that assessment:
[ QUOTE ]

I remember smiling at the kid, but certainly didn't stress over his comments. We had an hour to deadline, and where was the player we needed to interview? Next thing I know, Lidle was marching the boy over to where we stood, and explaining to him that we were there doing a job, and it didn't matter if we were girls, and then he started to point out the difference between print and broadcast and how the industry worked, how fans wanted to hear what players had to say, and by the end of Lidle's civic lesson, I wanted to turn around and give him a hug.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/st...p-388013c.html
Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM

All,

Lidle's wife will get his MLB pension of ~160k per year until she dies. However, it is very unlikely she will get his $1.5M MLB life insurance policy unless they can prove that the instructor was in control of the plane at the time it crashed.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:05 PM

I actually played in one of Lidle's Make-a-Wish tourneys at the Hard Rock in Vegas. He had a lot of SNG qualifiers at peoples houses to qualify for the $1500 (I think) entry. He went to most of these himself and actually dealt the table that I won. He was a SUPER nice guy and very cool to talk to. This was about 1.5 years ago.

I think Thomas Keller actually won the ~125 person event (not positive though). There were several invited celebrities that played (Keller was the only poker celeb) and it was a really fun event that raised a lot of money for the charity.

Lidle really seemed sincere about wanting to help those kids and certainly appeared to be a solid guy. I remember being surprised at how humble and giving he was considering that he was a professional athelete.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:38 PM

I played a 7pm daily at Binion's with him and his wife last January. My wife played too, and went out about the same time as Mrs. Lidle did. They stood on the rail together for about three hours before I finally got elimated (Cory was still in).

I had only been playing about two months at the time and he was a great inspiration to me as he had outplayed me BAD in the first two pots I entered.

He was sincere and decent, not what I've come to expect from pro athletes. His wife was a sweetheart. I grew up around airports and airplane, and my heart goes out to everyone in this deal.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:07 AM

he was on a southern cali radio talk show a right before his poker event and said he liked to play on the internet during his spare time.....not sure what his names where though
Old 10-12-2006, 10:01 AM

Great, this makes it all the easier for Republicans now to show how the terrorists have infiltrated the Yankees too...
Old 10-12-2006, 10:21 AM

Wow, I was censored on this board. For the record, I guess it's not okay to make a joke involving death.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:24 AM

Thanks for clearing that up for us.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:28 AM

Shortly after he left the Phillies and made some backhanded comments about the team, relief pitcher Arthur Rhoades blasted Lidle for among things, "playing online poker and eating ice cream in the clubhouse during games"

Such a shame what happened... RIP [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]