Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 08-25-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: $60t Shaking off some rust

[ QUOTE ]
You clearly rely on SNGPT too much. I was at that point once. You should work on fixing that because it will cost you a lot of money.
Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon, I "clearly" just ran it so people would have something to work with
Old 08-25-2006, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You clearly rely on SNGPT too much. I was at that point once. You should work on fixing that because it will cost you a lot of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, come on. You know you owe an explanation after posting something like this. I completely disagree that there's anything "easy" about the decision in hand one.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 PM

Interesting that this hand:

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) internettexasholdem.com

BB (t6760)
UTG (t2365)
Button (t3150)
Hero (t1225)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks similar to this hand that I posted last night:

[ QUOTE ]
PartyPoker $55 Speed Tournament, Big Blind is t400 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t3485)
AliasMrJones (t2950)
SB (t4425)
BB (t9140)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
CO raises to t800, AliasMrJones ???

[/ QUOTE ]

All the responses to my hand were fold, yet the consensus on this hand is to push. Why the difference? Does the difference in our stack between the two hands (6x vs. 7x) make that much difference? Is it our position/how many players left to act? Where the raise comes from? All of the above?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, come on. You know you owe an explanation after posting something like this. I completely disagree that there's anything "easy" about the decision in hand one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with The Venetian but I would push it too
Old 08-25-2006, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

All the responses to my hand were fold, yet the consensus on this hand is to push. Why the difference? Does the difference in our stack between the two hands (6x vs. 7x) make that much difference? Is it our position/how many players left to act? Where the raise comes from? All of the above?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's an issue of relative stack (we are much shorter compared to everyone else in hand 1) and the fact that the blinds will probably be going up soon, this will be the best spot we'll see for a while. Jumping from 100/200 to 200/400 is HUGE.

Also in your hand you have two stacks left to act (as opposed to 1), both of which cover you.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:38 PM

.. and nothing invested. And more equity.

The first one's close in the OP's example, it really depends on a lot of factors like how tough the bubble is playing and if people are prone to getting tangled up. If not, I would probably have to take the slight -$EV hit here. It varies.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:47 PM

I just think we still have some time in hand one. No antes, so we've got at least five minutes before we have to be concerned about the jump to 200/400/25. Second stack raising on big stack's BB generally suggests a stronger-than-normal raising hand for the spot, which should be tighter than the range bennies gave for breakeven.

It just doesn't seem prudent to take an almost certain -$EV spot before you lose your fold equity. I would fold this and plan to push one of the next two hands to stay afloat.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:51 PM

You are short by a good margin. You have 6x BB and a pair. There's no reason to think that a normal button player here is on some sort of tight range.

About 5% of the time or so the button will even not understand pot odds and fold. You'd be surprised how much this helps the "push" side.

Your EV situations are only going to get worse from here on out because the blinds are coming around so fast.

You simply have to push the 55 and take your likely 54% chance or so + overlay from the blinds that have been posted(pretty darned good at this point). A pair is golden at this point.

Ryan
Old 08-25-2006, 02:53 PM

As some have said, hand one is close and depends on how the bubble is going. In isolation, I don't mind a fold at all. Hand 2 isn't easy or anything, but looks like a fold. Villian isn't deep enough for a call to be good. Hand 1 I'd push on a limper for sure, but you don't have any FE in this case. Still, if the others are playing well and I really don't see anything +$EV coming up (like them busting eachother) I would push. I don't use SNGPT a ton, but I hope I play as if I did, and I don't feel like I'm losing a lot of money by doing that.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think we still have some time in hand one. No antes, so we've got at least five minutes before we have to be concerned about the jump to 200/400/25. Second stack raising on big stack's BB generally suggests a stronger-than-normal raising hand for the spot, which should be tighter than the range bennies gave for breakeven.

It just doesn't seem prudent to take an almost certain -$EV spot before you lose your fold equity. I would fold this and plan to push one of the next two hands to stay afloat.

[/ QUOTE ]

The converter doesn't show antes unless they are put in manually. I was assuming b/c of stack sizes that we were at 100/200/a25.