Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-12-2006, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Most Disappointing Wrestling Matches

Jack Bando, why did you think Goldberg-Nash killed Goldberg forever? I mean, eventually he had to lose, and I think that him losing by a taser didn't diminish anything about him being invincible. If he had won it back after a few months from Nash, I think he would've been just as popular...but yeah, it was silly to do that with Hogan.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jack Bando, why did you think Goldberg-Nash killed Goldberg forever? I mean, eventually he had to lose, and I think that him losing by a taser didn't diminish anything about him being invincible. If he had won it back after a few months from Nash, I think he would've been just as popular...but yeah, it was silly to do that with Hogan.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree, Goldie had to lose without losing and that was handled ok I think. The Hogan thing referenced was the fingerpoke of doom?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nash v Hogan. Title is now a joke, nWo re-re-re-reforms. Goldberg is made a bigger joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerpoke_of_Doom
Old 08-12-2006, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree, Goldie had to lose without losing and that was handled ok I think. The Hogan thing referenced was the fingerpoke of doom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe so. Bad memories are streaming back to me. I think I actually wept that Monday Night following Starrcade.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It did severe damage to him though at minimum. Afterwards in WCW, he won the US title for a day, won the heavyweight title for a day (match considered unsactioned), and won the Tag Titles for a week.

His run in WWE was half decent. Go unefeated for half the year, lose to HHH. Win the WHC title, hold it for two months.

The thing is, he doesn't have a great moveset, so he needs to use style and charisma over substance. If you're booked as a wrecking machine, and then you get beat up twice in a month, what's left?

Another disappointing match:

Gayda & Nowinski v JBL & Stratus. One of the worst matches in history of modern wrestling.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:14 PM

Hogan vs Sting, Starcade '97

Obviously not looking at this from a technical standpoint, this match was a disaster and the real beginning of the end.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:20 PM

Back when Superfly Snuka was at his pinnacle, he was booked to fight Capt Lou Albano, "donning the tights", at the gym at the local high school. The card sold out quickly. Show was pretty good.

Then, Albano entered the ring, and the heat was intense.

Then the ring announcer told us that Snuka couldn't make it tonight, and would be replaced by "The popular Pat Patterson".

The booing never stopped until the gym was empty. THAT was disappointing.

(BTW, after school that day, a few friends and I walked down to the gym, and offered to help the janitors set up the bleachers. We ended up setting up all the folding chairs used as ringside seats. Got to meet Albano, Jay Strongbow, and Ray "The Crippler" Stevens. Then got to see the show for free. When you're in high school, that's cool [censored].)
Old 08-12-2006, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nash v Hogan. Title is now a joke, nWo re-re-re-reforms. Goldberg is made a bigger joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerpoke_of_Doom

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this was completely disgusting. if i was nash i would have been pissssssssssed off to win the title for a day only to have to job to hogan right after. and it never made any sense either. why couldn't nash have the title? hogan ALWAYS has to have it his way.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Back when Superfly Snuka was at his pinnacle, he was booked to fight Capt Lou Albano, "donning the tights", at the gym at the local high school. The card sold out quickly. Show was pretty good.

Then, Albano entered the ring, and the heat was intense.

Then the ring announcer told us that Snuka couldn't make it tonight, and would be replaced by "The popular Pat Patterson".

The booing never stopped until the gym was empty. THAT was disappointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Snuka was so hot when he returned from his "injury" at the hands of Ray Stevens (and Albano's betrayal) that a Snuka vs. Albano match would have been insane heat. I don't blame anybody for booing the rest of the night. I'm surprised the ring wasn't pelted with garbage. I don't think I would have been surprised if a mini-riot broke out.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Sting vs. Goldberg should have been a huge match for WCW but was completely [censored] up by booking and poor promotion. angle building.

Goldberg vs. Bret Hart pretty much the same.

Goldberg was still seen as somewhat unbeatable but these were two wrestlers who fans could legitamately see beating him. Should have made for some "big fight" feel matches with easy rematches but both were booked horribly. Both Hart and Sting were very capable of getting good matches out of Goldberg.

Goldberg v. The Giant another one which could have been interesting but was treated as an afterthought with Goldberg winning in like 2 minutes on free TV.