Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling

View Poll Results: KQo
raise 38 71.70%
fold 11 20.75%
call 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Default Re: NL Bots on Full Tilt

I find posts like this to be so discouraging, as I've mentioned before. Openly allowing bots can't possibly be good for the game, especially if they can play 24/7. The point you're missing is that most players play recreationally, and simply won't be interested in playing if they know that half of their opponents are designed by computer programmers. When I started out playing I enjoyed conversing with opponents, playing a game I thought was fun, and having a chance to make money. A noob wouldn't be able to accomplish much of this if there were dozens of bots taking up seats at nearly all the tables.

Maybe you're right and eventually these things can't be stopped. But if that's the case the online game is going to be damaged beyond recognition. You have to at least try to put a stop to this type of activity or these things are just going to run wild. Do I think the average poker bot can beat me right now for a significant amount over the long term? I do not. However some basic strategies can at least be employed to break even and earn rakeback. For every seat a breakeven bot is at my table, that's one less seat a recreational fish could be taking. Eventually, there is no doubt that bots, especially if allowed by the sites, will become sophisticated enough to beat good poker players. Then what?

There are plenty of high volume profitable accounts that are very obviously not aided by computer programming, unless you consider making human decisions based off of pokertracker data to fall into that category. Narena is one that comes to mind. There's a player who chats all the time, berates fish, plays 12 tables at a time, and is a good solid poker player. If I lose money to that player, I at least know I lost money to a thinking human, and could have fun playing the game in the process. Obviously not all high volume profitable players are going to be as black and white when it comes to "bot" or "not bot" classification. But there are things the sites need to look for to try and enforce the rules to the best of their ability. At least if there are consequences for getting caught, there is a reason to consider not doing it. But if the sites just accepted the existence of bots they'd just open up the floodgates for more and more of them.

If it comes down to it, perhaps they can limit the amount of time per day a player can play. I'm pretty sure about 99% of us won't end up playing more than 8 hours a day and would be unaffected by such a policy. If somebody wanted to play more than 8 hours a day that badly there are plenty of other sites they could jump to.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 PM

so this is why i suck
Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM

Thoughts from a relative noob to this site:

Perhaps this whole bot thing is just a flash in the pan phase that dies after humans adapt.

Seems that we're more than capable of figuring out who the bots are, based on very readily available records of their inhuman consistencies. The bots then get highly publicized on poker forums. Then the sharks come out in unison and eat them alive by exploiting their well documented tendencies, and the owner loses big during this time. This becomes a cycle that the bot creators start to realize, and they see that they aren't actually making much money over the long run with it. This then discourages other would-be bot creators and administrators. Over time, some programmers will make their bots more creative. But the more creative they become, the more human they become. Mimicking a human isn't as good as the real thing.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If it comes down to it, perhaps they can limit the amount of time per day a player can play. I'm pretty sure about 99% of us won't end up playing more than 8 hours a day and would be unaffected by such a policy. If somebody wanted to play more than 8 hours a day that badly there are plenty of other sites they could jump to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played 24 hours str8 on stars/tilt multiple times before.

The bot guys would just create multiple accounts on the same site.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:39 PM

I doubt there were many bots playing the .05/.10 games I was playing at FT but if I thought maybe possibly there was..... I would straight up come out & say "so&so is a poker bot : )" which would almost always get a reply.
Don't forget the smilie. : )
I don't have time to read the 195 pages.....but is a poker bot a guaranteed winner? Couldn't they be cracked for a big pot just like anyone else?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 PM

All,

FWIW, I played in a random WSOP donkament the other week and some completely random dealer started talking about 2+2 threads, including this one.

He said he was a friend of nation's and everything nation said in this thread re: Chinese gold farming 200 NL using a set strategy is true.

I reiterate, however, that this strategy must really be pretty bad if it only makes 2 BB/100 at 200 NL.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played 24 hours str8 on stars/tilt multiple times before.

The bot guys would just create multiple accounts on the same site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right I'm not suggesting that this would be the end all to fix all problems. But say the "bot guys" did create new accounts to get around this. That's one more hoop they have to jump through, which is against the site's terms of service if it can be proven that they are creating multiple accounts. One more way they can get caught. You probably can't find an end all solution, but you have to do what you can to make it as tough on people as possible to cheat the system.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I reiterate, however, that this strategy must really be pretty bad if it only makes 2 BB/100 at 200 NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

How recently have you played fulltilt's fullring 200nl?
Old 07-06-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah 2bb/100 in even the 6 max games isnt 'bad' by any measure. especially considering these 'bots' probably dont game select all that well.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah 2bb/100 in even the 6 max games isnt 'bad' by any measure. especially considering these 'bots' probably dont game select all that well.

[/ QUOTE ]

taking this as true for the purposes of this debate, why on earth would anyone play there if it maxes at 2 BB/100? it's not like I can't get 10+ tables of NL 200 going on other sites?