Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 04-26-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: SNG Book Announcement:

[ QUOTE ]
"And I can't understand why the concerns of several top posters and players are so easily dismissed (by people who don't play sngs as well for the most part)"

This is easy. They came in here acting like know it all jackasses dismissing a book they haven't read yet.

They assume that because they don't know who this guy is, he's not as good as them. That may well be true or it may not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just like to know a little more about the author's credentials. This is what I know so far.

[ QUOTE ]
Academically, I graduated from Caltech in 2003 with an Honors BS in Math. Later that year, I began playing $0.10-$0.25 cash no-limit hold ‘em and $5+$1 10-man SNGs. This was on PokerRoom under the name Anarchos, and my initial bankroll was $50. Within 10 months, I was earning over 90% of my income from SNG play exclusively, primarily 2-tabling the Party $215’s.

[/ QUOTE ]
These are farly common claims of "experts" that sell "systems" on the internet. It's vague and I'd like it clarified. Please, please give us an idea of the sample size.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"And I can't understand why the concerns of several top posters and players are so easily dismissed (by people who don't play sngs as well for the most part)"

This is easy. They came in here acting like know it all jackasses dismissing a book they haven't read yet.

They assume that because they don't know who this guy is, he's not as good as them. That may well be true or it may not.

Regardless, they have precisely zero idea how good the book is. All they have are assumptions about how good the book will be based on assumptions about how good the author is based on the fact that they don't know him.

When the book comes out, read it. Then critique it. And, if you think a better book should be available, write it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason "who" he is is important is because the internet sng community is relatively small compared to other forms of poker. The fact that nobody had heard of him pretty much guaranteed that many members of the stt forum have more experience and have made more money than him. Given that's basically how score is kept in poker, the fact that there is initial doubt about his credentials in writing the book shouldn't be surprising.

It could very well turn out to be a great book and I hope it does.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I can't understand why the concerns of several top posters and players are so easily dismissed

[/ QUOTE ]

Top players? Not according to Sharkscope data. The whiners I found there were all losing or break-even players.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And I can't understand why the concerns of several top posters and players are so easily dismissed

[/ QUOTE ]

Top players? Not according to Sharkscope data. The whiners I found there were all losing or break-even players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious?
Old 04-27-2007, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Title suggestion

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with both of you. "Three places" rules out 18 seaters and "online" is also specific. Let 2+2 sell their books, I want accurate information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. PokerStars has SNGs, microlimit ($1.00+.20) for the following numbers of players: 9, 18, 45, and 180. I guess anything where you can get enough players together in ten minutes or less, by that definition, is a sit and go. Perhaps then, the book needs to be clear in the title (or at least the subtitile) about what it does and doesn't cover.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Title suggestion

Who cares what the title is, if you take the time to read the description it is blatently clear what the book is about. The content is more important, when is the book on sale??
Old 04-28-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
many members of the stt forum have more experience and have made more money than him.

[/ QUOTE ]

so write a quality book already.
Mason and other publishers would love to hear from you.
Seriously, all the complaining that it's THIS guy who's writing it instead of someone they know all sounds kind of strange.

He wasn't even 'chosen' to do it.
He wrote a book. Mason looked at it and said, "Wow. This actually doesn't suck. It's quite good."
They went from there.

The reason he 'qualifies' to write a quality book on SNG's is because he is the one actually doing it.
We are still left 'hoping' it will actually be 'quality' but there's no real way to know before we see it anyway.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason he 'qualifies' to write a quality book on SNG's is because he is the one actually doing it.
We are still left 'hoping' it will actually be 'quality' but there's no real way to know before we see it anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Another quality required that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to write. I have no idea how well the posters who's names have been bandied about can do this. The author of this book in his post here has at least demonstrated the ability to communicate in writing well from the limited amount we've seen. As this post indicates, we'll have to wait and see if what he has to communicate is worthwhile or not.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:40 PM

Exactly.

Being able to play well is only part of the equation to writing a book about playing well.

Even being able to describe one's thoughts DECENTLY only gets you part-way there to being able to wrtie a book on it.

Meant to ask this earlier because I thought I'd seen Mason mention it before.
How many manuscripts does Mason receive that he thinks are not worthy of the 2+2 name for publication?

Also kind of curious what percentage of them that he thinks are not entirely terrible but still aren't worth being published by 2+2.

I'm pretty sure Mason turns down a lot of stuff.
So when he says that something has really impressed him from out of the blue like Collin's manuscript has then I'm pretty sure it surprises him somewhat because of all the total crap he usually receives.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
many members of the stt forum have more experience and have made more money than him.

[/ QUOTE ]

so write a quality book already.
Mason and other publishers would love to hear from you.
Seriously, all the complaining that it's THIS guy who's writing it instead of someone they know all sounds kind of strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really want to get behind this book. Collin has proven he's a a quality writer, a smart guy, and a solid poker analyst. The only missing piece of the puzzle is his experience. He doesn't have to have made a million dollars to be experienced, but chapters on "Psychology and Tilt Avoidance" relating specifically to SNGs have to be written by someone who has played more than 500 tournaments while running hot through all of them. Also, much of the experience a player would have gained two years ago playing the old Party 215's isn't relevant now. What does the switch from 10-hand levels to timed levels do to your push/fold thresholds? Can you figure it out?