Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 09-30-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Ryan benches Solo for consolation game at WWC

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think this is the dumbest coaching move of the year?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. They would've been favored with either keeper.

End of the day, you can't win with -1 goals scored.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how you're a mind reader and you know just what she was thinking.

And the fact that no one in sports would've declined to play actually IS the point.

Your whole post is absoulutely ludicrous.

Coach made a bad choice, Solo dealt with it in almost the worst possible way. Scurry has nothing to do with this.

When Solo wins a cup while in goal, she can talk. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're overestimating how often such a clear-cut situation arises. Although several analogies have been thrown out there, can anyone think of a legitimate parallel from another sport? The only thing I can think of offhand is the Astros playing Biggio this year despite having a demonstrably better player on the bench. However, even in that situation, there were external issues (such as the Astros feeling they owed it to Biggio, or that it was good for ticket sales) that at least made the decision marginally defensible.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I think her beef is totally justified, and I am not all that bothered she said this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think her public rant would bother you if you were the coach.

[/ QUOTE ]So what? The coach [censored] up massively. I don't care at all if he's pissed. There are a lot of people pissed at him for the decision. I was watching ESPN news the day before the game and EVERY SINGLE commentator couldn't understand why he would make this decision right before this big game. AND THESE ARE PEOPLE THAT FOLLOW THE WOMENS TEAM!

F that coach, fire his ass and have him coach the LadyBugs.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And the fact that no one in sports would've declined to play actually IS the point.

Coach made a bad choice, Solo dealt with it in almost the worst possible way. Scurry has nothing to do with this.

When Solo wins a cup while in goal, she can talk. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're overestimating how often such a clear-cut situation arises. Although several analogies have been thrown out there, can anyone think of a legitimate parallel from another sport? The only thing I can think of offhand is the Astros playing Biggio this year despite having a demonstrably better player on the bench. However, even in that situation, there were external issues (such as the Astros feeling they owed it to Biggio, or that it was good for ticket sales) that at least made the decision marginally defensible.

[/ QUOTE ]

11-0 vs. Brazil.
Won a cup before.
The team scored -1 goals.

Guess what the result would've been with Solo in goal once the team had an own goal and they didn't score any offensive goals? If you guess a Brazil victory, you are correct!
Old 09-30-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else think this is the dumbest coaching move of the year?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. They would've been favored with either keeper.

[/ QUOTE ]

who Brazil?
Old 09-30-2007, 06:27 PM

Having a consistent, solid GK completely changes how the rest of the team plays. You can't underestimate that at all. The backline plays considerably different.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

11-0 vs. Brazil.
Won a cup before.
The team scored -1 goals.

Guess what the result would've been with Solo in goal once the team had an own goal and they didn't score any offensive goals? If you guess a Brazil victory, you are correct!

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously the US would not have won even with Solo minding the net. That has nothing to do with the fact that Solo is the better keeper, and was working on a tremendous shutout streak, while Scurry had not even played in three months.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Having a consistent, solid GK completely changes how the rest of the team plays. You can't underestimate that at all. The backline plays considerably different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, the idea that she's somehow a rank amateur is just nonsense. "Consistent solid GK". GMAB that she's not. She may not be as good, but she's certainly not that a liability either.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 PM

GMAB?

I really don't agree with you at all, unless the USWNT is stacked(no pun intended) with good GK's, like the mens team.

You look at pro teams and generally teams are incredibly shakey with the backup in. The back line plays a more conservative game because they don't know if the keeper will be there to back them up. It can really change the whole dynamic of the game.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I think her beef is totally justified, and I am not all that bothered she said this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think her public rant would bother you if you were the coach.

[/ QUOTE ]So what? The coach [censored] up massively. I don't care at all if he's pissed. There are a lot of people pissed at him for the decision. I was watching ESPN news the day before the game and EVERY SINGLE commentator couldn't understand why he would make this decision right before this big game. AND THESE ARE PEOPLE THAT FOLLOW THE WOMENS TEAM!

F that coach, fire his ass and have him coach the LadyBugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

For crying out loud, I am not arguing about the coach's decision. I think it was a horrible decision. But as a player, you voice your opinion to your coach, not to the reporters. And you never voice what you think of another player on YOUR OWN TEAM to the media. Once she went on her rant, she benched herself.