Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum

Old 03-13-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Cat Microwave Question More Explicitly Stated

[ QUOTE ]
If you cut the guy's hand off, what species do you draw the line at? Does a mentally competent adult pouring salt on a banana slug or burning an insect to death with a magnifying glass qualify for hand removal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the "soul" of a cat weigh more than the "soul" of a slug? What about a cow vs. dog?

Interesting that in some Asian countries, all animals are viewed in the same light. They will eat dogs, cats, snakes, chickens, cattle, etc... They are all the same. But I digress...

I think the "line" here is that cats are generally domesticated animals, which requires a level of intelligence high above that of a slug.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:17 PM

Step 1 : save cat
Step 2 : stab that sick [censored] to death
Step 3 : laugh??
Old 03-18-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. This should be the last post on this thread as I am all wise and decided upon the correct answer. Like all wise men I will answer with a question.

What would happen if a 3rd man stumbled upon this scene and found you cutting off the hand of a man he had never met: should he then cut a limb of yours off?

[/ QUOTE ]

For symmetry's sake, I guess he would have to cook me in the microwave oven.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:24 PM

You didn't explicitly state that you'd know that he'd lose his hand before you could choose to act.

In either case, I would not stop him from acting--but it's a close call.

I actually know of 'the world's biggest a$$hole' (just start another thread and I'll tell you all about him, he's a complete, universal and versatile degenerate--below normal intelligence, any worse and you could start calling him an Asbergers' type (apologies to those people), and definitely a sociopath) who has a history of torturing squirrels for hours before his mother cooks them up. Yes, I've reported this to the police to no avail.

I don't think it's my call when it comes to maiming another human in these circumstances.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:57 PM

Cat in the Microwave, clarification

-J
Old 03-22-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Save the cat, f the dude's hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd let a hundred cats die painfully before letting one person die painlessly, but I'd take the guy's hand to stop him from gleefully tourturing the cat.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
An adult, non mentally retarded person is about to gleefully torture and kill a random cat by frying it in a microwave. You can stop it, but if you do, the person somehow loses his hand. How doesn't matter. Would you stop the execution?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, assuming no consequences (e.g. legal). I'd probably go pretty close to killing the person -- I'm assuming that a person that gleefully tortures a cat will probably be causing more harm in the future (to more cats, or even people).
Old 03-23-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
An adult, non mentally retarded person is about to gleefully torture and kill a random cat by frying it in a microwave. You can stop it, but if you do, the person somehow loses his hand. How doesn't matter. Would you stop the execution?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, assuming no consequences (e.g. legal). I'd probably go pretty close to killing the person -- I'm assuming that a person that gleefully tortures a cat will probably be causing more harm in the future (to more cats, or even people).

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point of this entire thread - if you say, yes, you would cut off the guys hand, then somewhere in your conscience lies the same evil apparent in the cat killer. I think David really did just want to know how much you valued humans vs animals. If you would cut the mans hand off you are just as sick as he is on some level.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point of this entire thread - if you say, yes, you would cut off the guys hand, then somewhere in your conscience lies the same evil apparent in the cat killer. I think David really did just want to know how much you valued humans vs animals. If you would cut the mans hand off you are just as sick as he is on some level.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. I think by stopping the man from gleefully torturing the cat, I decrease the chance that he will cause future harm to cats & people. That's a good thing, not an evil thing.

I don't gleefully torture the guy in order to prevent him from gleefully torturing the cat. Yes, that would be evil. I reluctantly stop the torture, knowing the guy will experience a bit of suffering, in hopes that there will be less suffering in the future. This is the basis of my morality -- maximize happiness(good), minimize suffering(bad).
Old 03-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Let that cat die. It's worth less than any mans little finger.