Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 08-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Does anyone actually like their baseball manager?

[ QUOTE ]

I approve, better than most.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Scioscia too, but he makes some dumb decisions. The other day against the Red Sox, it is a tie game I believe in the 6th or 7th, and Figgins gets a leadoff hit.

Sweet. Now he has Reggie Willits bunt. Willits has the 2nd highest OBP on the Angels, he is the perfect guy to have up right now to get a potential big inning going. Instead we have Figgins on 2nd, 1 out, then Cabrera and Vlad. Cabrera is having a fine year, but if he makes an out Vlad is intentionally walked and then our top 2 OBP guys, one of them being our top SLG, both get no chance to have a good at bat. That type of stuff is just frustrating.

I also wish he would let Kotchman play every day, and stop platooning him w Quinlan. This is a personal wish, pet peeve type thing so no real big deal.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like Francona, though at times I think he carries managing for the long run to an extreme. But considering the bad managers the Sox have had: Kevin Kennedy, Butch Hobson, John McNamara and Jimy Williams (aka the worst manager in the history of baseball), I'm pretty happy with this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought John McNamara was generally considered a pretty good manager, no?

I mean, you know, before that whole not-replacing-Buckner-and-then-lying-about-it thing...
Old 08-10-2007, 02:58 PM

Let me put my question another way:

What percentage of serious baseball fans do you think would say they believe the manager of their team is good and should not be replaced?
Old 08-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Probably significant for both Geren and Wedge.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me put my question another way:

What percentage of serious baseball fans do you think would say they believe the manager of their team is good and should not be replaced?

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "serious"

I think a lot of stathead/sabr guys dislike their manages simply because the pool of duders that are going to get baseball jobs is super populated with folks from a totally different school of thinking. I mean, Buddy Bell KEEPS getting hired... I mean, there's probably what, less than 60 guys who have a legit shot at managing a mlb club in the next 3 years.

Given how roped into tradition baseball is, it's going to be a long time before there's enough evolution in that group before folks who make statheads like me happy make up 1/3rd of the population.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like Francona, though at times I think he carries managing for the long run to an extreme. But considering the bad managers the Sox have had: Kevin Kennedy, Butch Hobson, John McNamara and Jimy Williams (aka the worst manager in the history of baseball), I'm pretty happy with this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have forgot Joe Kerrigan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't forget him, but his brief stint as a manager was an accident. I have heard rumors that Williams' firing was not planned, but rather the end of a screaming argument in the bowels of Fenway between him and Dan "More days in first place" Duquette.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have forgot Joe Kerrigan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't forget him, but his brief stint as a manager was an accident. I have heard rumors that Williams' firing was not planned, but rather the end of a screaming argument in the bowels of Fenway between him and Dan "More days in first place" Duquette.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you did forget Grady Little. Jimy was really bad, but so was Grady. Kerrigan certainly wasn't there long enough to be as bad as either.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:51 PM

Kerrigan wasn't there long enough because he was a complete disaster. Jimy with one m didn't belong in Boston, couldn't handle the media at all.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:52 PM

Jimy Williams is hands down the worst manager of all-time, despite all the hate for Grady (who deserves most of it).
Old 08-10-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jimy Williams is hands down the worst manager of all-time, despite all the hate for Grady (who deserves most of it).

[/ QUOTE ]
Considering how much you hate Dusty Baker, I have to hear the stories.