Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 01-05-2006, 07:55 AM

Default Stacks, odds and implied possibilities

55r

Stack 9K average is slightly lower, you are in BB with 8,7s

blinds 100/200( i think, cant quite remember)still rebuy

Utg has 6K and pushes no particular reads, there has been a few pushes from all positions

Mp calls has 12k, button flattcalls too with 15K

Would you move all inn?

This is offcourse a situation that is more or less frequent in rebuys. But it occurs from time to time when the rebuy is over or in a freezout, when a few shortstacks decide to tangel and a big stack takes his chanses. Would you take a shot regardless?
In the above situation it would provide you with cl and a healthy stack.
In a freezeout scenario how low, if that is important, would your stack have to be relative to blinds and average before you jump in.

Last; if you all where big stacks and the same confrontation came up in a freezeout, would you pass?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Re: Stacks, odds and implied possibilities

[ QUOTE ]
55r

Stack 9K average is slightly lower, you are in BB with 8,7s

blinds 100/200( i think, cant quite remember)still rebuy

Utg has 6K and pushes no particular reads, there has been a few pushes from all positions

Mp calls has 12k, button flattcalls too with 15K

Would you move all inn?

This is offcourse a situation that is more or less frequent in rebuys. But it occurs from time to time when the rebuy is over or in a freezout, when a few shortstacks decide to tangel and a big stack takes his chanses. Would you take a shot regardless?
In the above situation it would provide you with cl and a healthy stack.
In a freezeout scenario how low, if that is important, would your stack have to be relative to blinds and average before you jump in.

Last; if you all where big stacks and the same confrontation came up in a freezeout, would you pass?

[/ QUOTE ]

freezeout --- big time FOLD
rebuy --- dependant on player's willingness to achieve big stack, may very well have to double rebuy if you lose this hand and be back to starting chip count of 3000 (assuming this is Stars). I am generally content with a stack of approx 10k or more (your pretty close now) but will gamble even at that point with TT-AA, AQ or AK in hopes of achieving huge stack.

If this is Party, 9k is pretty good stack for me. Also, can't imagine any site that blinds are at 100/200 still during rebuy period, so I am curious as to what site this is?

Edit: Also there are no implied possibilities when everyone is already allin. These are real possiblities.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:36 AM

freez out fold for sure.
rebuy: if your stack is now 9K and a double rebuy would take you up to 6K then depending on my BR status and how much time left in the rebuy period,i would jump at the chance with that hand.having said that i would fold even QQ here.the only reason why i would call this is the fact that there is a good chance they are not dominated and with 3 ppl going at it ,its more likely that the big cards are all out so the chances of the board cards being small are good.
again 9K stack in relation to 100/200 blinds is good enough to be able to play poker with but i rather a 27K one.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:43 AM

I would be very, very surprised if either of the flat callers folded to my all in so you're asking whether I'm happy to take a chance in a four way pot to quadruple my chips with 87s?
We need to know when the rebuy period finishes, what the starting chips are, the add-on situation but, if I was tempted by this pot I can't see the benefit of the all in. You can close the action with a call and see the flop and you're very unlikely, particularly in a rebuy, to push the two flat callers off the pot. The normal line here is that you're pot committed by calling so why not stick it all in but if the flop has two face cards, no flush draw or str8 draw and no pair for you and you check with the others going all in I would fold.
Having said that, I personally wouldn't call (for essentially all my chips) in this situation with a reasonably healthy stack at what must be near the end of the rebut period especially with position for the next few hands. Seems elementary to me but maybe I'm missing something. The site I play rebuys on and the level at which I do is so full of fish and particularly of gamblers who can't change gears after the break that there seems little point in risking solid cash to achieve a large stack before the break. Before the break, the stack can be made from tangling with good players you know are going all in with any two cards and after by taking the time to pick your spot.
I think this might be different on stars or party poker with a larger field of better players.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
freez out fold for sure.
rebuy: if your stack is now 9K and a double rebuy would take you up to 6K then depending on my BR status and how much time left in the rebuy period,i would jump at the chance with that hand.having said that i would fold even QQ here.the only reason why i would call this is the fact that there is a good chance they are not dominated and with 3 ppl going at it ,its more likely that the big cards are all out so the chances of the board cards being small are good.
again 9K stack in relation to 100/200 blinds is good enough to be able to play poker with but i rather a 27K one.

[/ QUOTE ]

where are you playing that a double rebuy takes you to 6k?

you would have 33k stack if you won.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:06 AM

A double rebuy and addon would take you to 4,5K which is not horrible. But estimated about 1/2 of average stack when rebuy is over.

The implied possibilities is not within the hand, but the benifit a bigstack gives and the subsequent possibilities to score good in this particular tournament. The all in is not to push anyone out as it is near impossible with the stack sizes, but to ensure the payoff is the largest possible if one where to hit a winner.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A double rebuy and addon would take you to 4,5K which is not horrible. But estimated about 1/2 of average stack when rebuy is over.

The implied possibilities is not within the hand, but the benifit a bigstack gives and the subsequent possibilities to score good in this particular tournament. The all in is not to push anyone out as it is near impossible with the stack sizes, but to ensure the payoff is the largest possible if one where to hit a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

again it is not "implied" it is real. it is not "if" they put the rest of there stack in, it is that they "will" have there stack in. so possibilities of you having a huge stack after this hand are not "implied" they are real.