Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 03-29-2006, 06:54 AM

Default Re: there are racial and ethnic differences in IQ

The bell curve was a fun book to read. It costed $50 bucks when I bought it. You can get it on ebay these days for 50 cents. It had very little on race in it although oddly enough race issues became its biggest selling point.

The two most interesting things in it in my opinion where.

1) Men have an IQ of 100 with a standard deviation of 15 and woman have a mean IQ of 100 with a standard deviation of 13.

2) IQ and income correlate tightly.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:13 AM

"2) IQ and income correlate tightly. "

It's a bit more than that. They detail many life outcomes that correlate with IQ, income being only one.

My favorite piece of research was the comparison of income between Whites and Blacks when you control for IQ. It was almost equal.
Old 04-02-2006, 07:11 AM

That is correct. It reminds me of a couple more things I really like about the bell curve. The apendix gives a better overview of statistical terms than any I have read. I teach organic Chemistry at a community college and sometimes use it for that purpose.

As an aside as it has nothing to do with the origional post I should mention a couple of other things.

Warren Buffett was asked about IQ as it is more tightly correlated with investing than anything else. He said its way more important to get the most horse power out of a motor than it is to have a larger motor. "I know lots of people with an IQ of 140 who beat people with an IQ of 160 in this game. Its not the horse power of the motor that matters its how much you can get out of it."

My sister in effect said the same thing. She asked me to come up and kill some chickens for her. One of them was unusually large and I was curious as to its weight.

Warren: How much does this one weigh?
Linda: Why do you care?
Warren: Just curious, do you have a scale?
Linda: No.
Warren: Just use a bathroom scale, weigh yourself first then with the bird.
Linda: I don't have any scale, thermometer or any other measuring devices.
Warren: why not.
Linda measuring a thing does not change the thing you are measuring unless you want to get into quantum mechanics which I dont.
Warren: When was the last time you weighed youself?
Linda: 20 years ago.
Warren: Why
Linda: Time spent running, bailing hay, and studying nutrition will produce far better results than standing on a scale will.

As an aside my sister is in perfect shape and physical condition. If more people shared her philosophy there would be a whole lot less bad beat stories.