Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-10-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: November [censored] thread

Shemp (on the overhead squat)

that is so awesome and i totally totally agree and am going to add a touch of my personal experience.

before i forget to mention it 95# for 30 reps is outstanding and quite an achievement and i am going to try it on my rest day tommorrow, but i think i will fail in the 20 to 25 range. my pr for 15 is 110#, but that extra 15#'s made a huge difference. i have no real desire to get to the bodyweight ohs for 15 (a CF benchmark) but it would be cool, but not as cool as 95# for a ton of reps imho.

i am finally getting to use bumbers so going to failure is now actually an option!!!

that being said:

the first time i tried this lift i could not keep my heels down with a broomstick and go below parallel, not even close. so my pr was zero reps w/a stick. not so cool. i now do 3x15 w/the oly bar everyday as i warmup and it has made all the difference in the world for my core strength, all forms of squats, posture, etc, etc.

i mix it for practice and whenever it comes up in the CF wods and what i used to dread i now embrace. nancy is one of my favorite girl wo's for sure.

i think it probably is the single best lift there is and can be done with less weight and is more effective as a total body exercise than almost anything (deadlifts are close, but no need to argue) all of this has just been to say what shemp said. the OHS is the nuts.

this has nothing to do with anything, but for you young guys packed in gyms with a bunch of hotties and would love their attention bust out a few sets of OHS and you will get all the stares you could ever want. people are fascinated by this lift irl because almost no one can really do it.

carry on my brothers, carry on. J.