Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 AM

Default Re: Religion DOES Do More Good Than Harm

DS,

I'm sure this will fall on deaf ears as usual but once again I'm gonna bring up the possibility of living for extremely long periods of time. Right now the mention of such an idea is seen as quackery. such was the case with human flight and man landing on the moon roughly 20 years before both things happened respectively.

anyway, the reason i bring this up is that a world full of atheists would be much more equipped to discover a way for humans to live a healthy life for 10,000 years than a world full of people who believe in ghosts...or jesus. If this is true, and it is actually a practical possibility that people could live this long, then certainly a majority would benefit from atheism because all the jesus people would run around trying to behead the life extenders. then we'd all be sad...and dead.

By the way, since this is a poker site let me reiterate my position on extreme life extension. In my mind, even if the possibility of such long life is extremely remote (which, right now, it seems to be), the pot (i.e. the possibility that we can live healthily for 10,000 years) that we're contending for is nearly infinitely large. Especially if you believe that life revolves around the pursuit of happiness urrrrrrrrr topless dancers.

PS I don't think that believing in the possibility of extremely long life extension precludes the belief in jesus or his colleagues (muhammed, your own god etc.).

PSS I think that if people who currently believed in god would replace that belief with a belief that humans can live healthily for 10,000 years, they would be happier. I say this because I think that most of the people who claim to believe in god are actually fairly doubtful. This doubt most likely can't diminish whereas a belief in 10,000 year health can.

PSSS I used to believe in jesus much more than i currently believe in the possibility of living a healthy life for 10,000 years. Now I don't believe in jesus and I barely believe that it will some day be possible for humans to live healthily for 10,000 years. I'm happier now than i was with jesus.