Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Why is Mr Gatorade the most annoying person ever

so someone explain to me how having 5bbs is an advantage?
dont effective stacks make their no advantage?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is right, but say you look at it this way. 55% of the time you're going to win. Those times you win an average of 5BB. Say the other 45%, you're average loss is 7BB though. Over all, in this case, you would lose.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if this is right, but say you look at it this way. 55% of the time you're going to win. Those times you win an average of 5BB. Say the other 45%, you're average loss is 7BB though. Over all, in this case, you would lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you lose 7 BB on average? If you're referring to the average amount lost over the duration of the session, then it will be higher. But you're going to win the 5 BB way way more than 55% of the time in that case.

Simple model:
You win his 5 BB right off the bat 52% of the time and he doubles up right away 48% of the time. (You have a small edge b/c you know how to play a short stack better than him.) Those times he has a 10 BB stack, you're going to bust him anyway about 54% of the time (assuming for simplicity that the game is a freezeout). (You have a larger edge with the larger stack.)

The end result is you're going to win those 5 BBs most of the time and every once you're going to run horrible and lose dozens of BBs. In the end, you still show a profit, but psychologically you will feel like you are losing because the big losses will be weighted in your mind much higher than the accumulation of all the small wins.

If you're playing a low limit where the rake is relatively high and the other play happens to be half decent at playing a short stack, then you won't have an edge. But otherwise, it's rubbish to suggest that playing a short stack cannot be +EV.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you lose 7 BB on average? If you're referring to the average amount lost over the duration of the session, then it will be higher. But you're going to win the 5 BB way way more than 55% of the time in that case.

Simple model:
You win his 5 BB right off the bat 52% of the time and he doubles up right away 48% of the time. (You have a small edge b/c you know how to play a short stack better than him.) Those times he has a 10 BB stack, you're going to bust him anyway about 54% of the time (assuming for simplicity that the game is a freezeout). (You have a larger edge with the larger stack.)

The end result is you're going to win those 5 BBs most of the time and every once you're going to run horrible and lose dozens of BBs. In the end, you still show a profit, but psychologically you will feel like you are losing because the big losses will be weighted in your mind much higher than the accumulation of all the small wins.

If you're playing a low limit where the rake is relatively high and the other play happens to be half decent at playing a short stack, then you won't have an edge. But otherwise, it's rubbish to suggest that playing a short stack cannot be +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant that your average loss would be 7BB i.e. given that you lose, the average loss is 7BB. It was just an example of how could happen not a reflection of what I think is reality. Seems like your probably right. Like you win 5BB 80% and lose an average of 17BB or something 20%. Still though it's like writing options or insurance. You either win a little or get killed.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:02 AM

quitting someone with 5bb is stupid

its easy to have a pretty big edge on a shortstack

and telling them to reload just pisses them off and they quit u. if u bust them they rebuy
Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
quitting someone with 5bb is stupid

its easy to have a pretty big edge on a shortstack

and telling them to reload just pisses them off and they quit u. if u bust them they rebuy

[/ QUOTE ]

I have found this to not be true...

-Crazy Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 11:38 PM

Well my stand is this....

#1... If You dont play me then you should not be able to have your own table and wait for the fish to play you instead of me. I took this stand on FTP and am critisized so much about it that FTP made 15 tables of HU instead of the 4 and told me I can sit but not follow. I follow this rule because I have to respect there position but do not agree. On absolute and UB they agree with me on this issue but the more important issue of bots are simply ignored. This will change soon as the "media" is about to get involved. More to come on this later.

#2... 5bb is a simple rule that I have utilized in the respect of avoiding hit and runs. I have played over a million hands and thousends of hours all heads up. Its been my experience that hit and runners will utilize the small "short stack" style and then hit and run on me. As most of you know I absolutly HATE hit and runners so this is how I prevent it. The downside to this is I am losing value to horrible players but most horrible players that wont reload are intending to hit and run me in the first place. I also lose the have to go bust before reloading and lose potential income to this but i feel its a risk i take to prevent hit and runners.

#3... I have the reputation to drop 10-20K at a drop because I dont quit people and have huge ego. This has caused me hundreds of thousends of dollars all I ask is people to do the same and that is why I ask for them to reload. Why put me at risk for losing lots if they wont do the same.

#4... I know most seems like this is unethical and not right but I disagree. For many that have met me in real life knows first and formost I am one of the most trusting and honest people they will ever meet. This is why I love 10-20k freezeouts live so all this "unethical" talk simple cant happen. I am simply protecting my own interests since I am no longer in the Navy and this is my only source of income.

-Crazy Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 11:49 PM

Leaving aside the moral question, what if some one retaliates by following you around and sitting out in all your tables? Isn't this kind of mutually assured destruction? You don't let them play. So they don't let you play, and you both lose your chance to play fish.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Leaving aside the moral question, what if some one retaliates by following you around and sitting out in all your tables? Isn't this kind of mutually assured destruction? You don't let them play. So they don't let you play, and you both lose your chance to play fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

depends who has more money in their account...
Old 10-24-2007, 12:07 AM

its especially dumb for you to do this mike because neither of us are good enough compared to the other HU to make playing worthwhile. the rake would probably win.

though i am up like 2k on you lifetime!