Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Soft play at 1/2 NL?

I've experienced it too. When I realize that I've gotten too chummy with one (or more) of the other players, 2 things happen: 1. my game is not the best, & 2. Your pal will try to take advantage. Rack your chips and take a break.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Just say, "I can't do that. I'm a (censored)" and then bet. Everyone will laugh, and you won't have to slowplay. FWIW, its ALWAYS an angleshoot when someone asks.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 PM

People say a lot in a live NL game to get an advantage. I just usually say something like "Well that wouldn't be fun" when someone says something like checking it down.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, its ALWAYS an angleshoot when someone asks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Often it's just how someone likes to play. Every heard of "want to run it twice?" Similar idea.

This often happens with a hand that someone does not want to make difficult decisions with, and also doesn't want to play with their whole stack. Or just doesn't want to make big decisions - just wants to play a relaxed hand. Of course it *could* be an angle shoot, but often not.

Hands they might want to play this way are AK, 66, or 65s. And it's not necessarily a bad bet to take either.

Since your opponent told you he had a flush draw, you now know you can't trust him. Meaning: agreeing to check down is not binding, and since he lied about that, he could lie about checking it down too. You can

1 - agree to check down against someone you trust
2 - agree to check down a hand like 77 against someone you don't trust, and then hammer then when you hit your set and they bet into you on the river
3 - simply decline
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM

"NO WAY !!! I came here to gamboooool !!! Waitress, another round for the whole table, please."