Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: **Official uNL/SSNL Coaching Thread**

I'm currently getting coaching from billyjex who I found through 3-bet. I've had about half a dozen lessons or so since September and so far it's all good.

The lessons take the form of a sweating session over AIMpro and Skype. I basically play and then if something interesting comes up then billy says "I would do this..." and we play it through and talk about why. He's also been more than happy to talk through hands on AIM or email.

I would definitely recommend him to anyone out there looking for SSNL coaching for pretty much every reason. Good guy, knows the game, good rate, easy to deal with and takes a genuine interest.

The thing that I've found about coaching is that you need to know truthfully WHY you need it before you actually go looking for it. I wanted a long-term coach who could open up my 18/12 nitty game, show me a few new plays, improve my winrate and was personable. Billyjex is spot on for this.

So far as preferences for lesson structure, it has to depend entirely on where the student's game is at and how they learn. Some people need to learn the concepts before applying them and others need to be in the situation to learn the concept. I enjoy sweating because I like to learn by being actively involved - plus it's nice to have someone verify that you are running terribly. HH review or theory discussion generally goes in one ear and out the other, even though I nod and say 'uh-huh'...