Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 10-09-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Can I get away from AQ here?

I do admit the mistake here was not c-betting the flop, although I know this player would also play A10-A3 and I wanted to try and trap him and maybe get him to aggrodonk those holdings. In the end, I should of cold called and tried to keep this pot small.

I do want to ask: what's the difference between me raising 4x's the BB and 3x's? I thought (via HOH) that the whole point of raising with AQ is to discourage action because it IS just Ace high.....or at least get it heads up, and in crappy position at a gambling table, doesn't me raising 4x's UTG do that? Is one BB going to make a difference whether or not I continue with the hand vs someone with a similiar chip stack?

It does give away some strength of my holding but I'm gonna do that anyways b/c of my image as well as the stigma with the UTG position in general.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:01 PM

The whole idea of raising a smaller amount is:

1) Generally in the middle and late stages of a mtt 2.5xbb gets the same result as 4xbb.

2) It commits less chips which allows you to make a smaller cbet.

3) It commits less chips when you're stealing.

Now there are times I'll raise more with a monster vs a donk calling station in the bb because I know he will call with garbage and I want to build a big pot. Most of the time I stick in a 2.5xbb raise whether I'm stealing on the button with 67s or I'm utg with AA in the middle and late stages of a mtt.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:10 PM

when you raise 4x instead of 2.5-3x it just juices the pot even quicker and with 30 or so bb's you'll get pot committed faster. I don't play live but online I find that you usually get the same action whether you raise it 3 or 4x (or 2.5x later on), so it's essentially your first opportunity to exercise pot control.

I agree with what almost everyone...tough to find a fold here as played. Heck I'd almost spite call just because of villain's retard sized flop bet. Really though we're getting good odds and doing well against villain's range.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:40 PM

actually your description of the player makes me think he is actually pretty good. In there with a suited ace in a five way pot, and OH MY GOD he got lucky to win a coin flip with a pair and a FD. The wave is generally pretty strong, especially if he doesn't bother to move his chips out. Basically in his head, he doesn't see himself losing them.

Raise less PF, c-bet, procede with caution if you get much action. As played folding is retarded, 5k for 13K.