Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-22-2007, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Fantasy / Science Fiction book series

I'll chime in with a couple of series that I don't think get enough credit. Both still being written as well, which might be a bad thing since you'll have to wait for the end.

David Farland - the Runelords
Very well written books, with an idea that I really like where people can give away one attribute like strength to create one fighter with the strength of two (or a thousand). This also leads to a fighter-caste that has to take care of the people since they no longer have the strength to defend themselves. There's also magic based around the four elements that use different kind of spells.
The characters are very well thought out and all have their own strengths and weaknesses. Generally great books even if they're a bit predictable like most fantasy.

Eric Van Lustbader - the Pearl saga
Kind of a mix of fantasy and scifi where a technologically advanced alien race takes over a fantasy-like world with magic. Not so much a fight between heroes as it is a book based upon intrigues and cunning. Also very good characters even if the aliens are quite hard to figure out.
The books also kinda bother me when I'm reading them just because the alien language allows for 3 of the same letter in a row and I always think "that's wrong".

I also really like the Hobb series about the Farseers and the Fool, the liveships not so much. And the first four books about the Sword of truth are still among the best I've read, too bad the series became so long.