Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-17-2007, 05:46 AM

Default Living by a military base

I was having lunch with some people at Metro Pizza, (In Vegas, just off the intersection of Trop and Maryland, very good btw) and we got to discussing Nellis AFB. The question came up if you feel more safe, or feel more in danger living close to a large military base.

I don't know a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of each base, i.e. which bases have important weaponry, which are just there for holding men, but I'm pretty sure from talking to some different people that there are some very important weapons held at Nellis.

So, would you feel better or worse living by a prominent base? On the one hand, help is only a few yards away in case some major [censored] starts going down. On the other hand, I would think you're more likely to get attacked than some random ass small town midwest city.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Living by a military base

I don't now about that. But in general Military members are less likely to commit violent crimes (besides drunken Bar fights) and are more likely to stop and intervene a crime in progress. This is just from my personal experience.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:18 AM

wtf why would you feel in danger near a base full of trained men whose job it is to fight for your country in distant wars and help people in crisis ala katrina?

Seriously, what could happen? Terrorist nuclear bombing?

OBV I'd feel even safer than in a big city since military bases are usually in suburb-type settings (which are already safer to begin with).
Old 09-17-2007, 08:30 AM

I've lived on about 7 military bases and I can't think of ever not feeling safe.

In one apt complex I lived in off Luke AFB a lot of cars were stolen.

In one of my very famous stories (to me anyway) I had a motorcycle stolen from me. So what if I parked it in front of another apt complex with the tank bag sitting on top of it with the keys in it.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:36 AM

As a service member I can see where OP is getting his worries. For me, if I was living next to a Nuclear plant in the United States I would worry because nothing in this world is far fetched. If I lived in say Phoenix, AZ where there are HUGE military tests for all sorts of bombs, I would worry for a foreign attack on our soil. Now would I go so far to say that I would try to avoid living next to a military base? Probably not because they are for the most part safe. But I know from experience that even 1-2 miles off of our base there are thugs and drug dealers roaming the streets which in turn attracts a different breed of humans.

My advice would be to really look into the location and see what kind of homes and neighborhoods are surrounding the bases before moving.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:42 AM

1) I don't think living near a base would make you any safer unless there was a natural disaster or civil disturbance of some kind.

2) I don't think living near a base would put you in peril unless there were a terrorist attack or foreign first strike of some kind.

The chances of #1 are actually a lot greater than of #2, but psychologically #2 is scarier to most people.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a service member I can see where OP is getting his worries. For me, if I was living next to a Nuclear plant in the United States I would worry because nothing in this world is far fetched. If I lived in say Phoenix, AZ where there are HUGE military tests for all sorts of bombs, I would worry for a foreign attack on our soil. Now would I go so far to say that I would try to avoid living next to a military base? Probably not because they are for the most part safe. But I know from experience that even 1-2 miles off of our base there are thugs and drug dealers roaming the streets which in turn attracts a different breed of humans.

My advice would be to really look into the location and see what kind of homes and neighborhoods are surrounding the bases before moving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not like it matters but there are both a Military Base and Nuclear power plant within 20 minutes of Foxwoods if anyone gets real nervous. Ive lived near both my whole life and have no issues.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:26 AM

My dad is a colonel in the Army and does some NSA type stuff and I'm always afraid of coming home late at night and there being somebody waiting to kill me and my family,
Old 09-17-2007, 12:22 PM

I grew up in Fayetteville, NC (right next to Ft. Bragg) and I think that a military base makes things less safe. I should clarify I don't mean living on the base, which is safe as hell, but near the base.

First, the possibility of a terrorist attack has to outweigh the slight advantage of having the military close by in case of an emergency.

Second, it makes for a violent atmosphere. Joes are running around pumped with testosterone, and it makes going out way more likely to end in violence.

the High School I went to was a perfect metaphor for the whole town. It was the kids from the projects, mixed with the military kids. During the first gulf war they told us they considered our High School a primary potential terrorist target, because of all of the officer's kids who went to school there.

safety isn't the real concern, however. The real problem with living by a military base is what it does socially. because of Bragg, our town had a disproportionate Male-Female ratio. To make things worse, all the Joes in town were annoying to women who weren't attracted to Joes, so those women GTFO ASAP, leaving behind a bad M-F ratio, and an even worse ratio of women who were attracted to non-military men.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:23 PM

Living in a military town is crucial. Think of all the married women who have their husbands leave for a year at a time. Fish in a [censored] barrell.