Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 09-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Default $22: JJ facing overpush from BB

Firstly as I can't find one, anyone have a link to a hand history converter for FTP that works?

Secondly, hand in question.

I've been getting some nice cards and have doubled up twice with pocket kings and a set. I have a TAG image and have folded for about 2 orbits straight.

Thomask3 has been quite loose, doubling up first hand with an aj against a10 on an ace high flop. He has calmed down a little but is still playing more hands than he should.

Philthyrich is an idiot who has yoyo-ed his stack since this began.

My thoughts; folded to me with pocket jacks so I raise standard 3xBB. Short stack idiot pushes and I'm obv crushing his range. Then somewhat loose BB overpushes behind. I don't need to be flipping against overs for half my stack but BB could have a wider range than expected here.

Fold ok? Too weak against a loose player + shortstack.

Full Tilt Poker Game #3539287330: $20 + $2 Tournament (26951184), Table 6 - 50/100 - No Limit Hold'em - 9:56:02 ET - 2007/09/12
Seat 1: thomask3 (3,276)
Seat 2: geeezeee (626)
Seat 3: CousinGoose (1,720)
Seat 4: KevinN (1,370)
Seat 5: Foaming_Homer (1,729)
Seat 7: sk8ram (6,570)
Seat 8: --PHILTHYRICH-- (906)
Seat 9: MAINTAINEN (4,880)
MAINTAINEN posts the small blind of 50
thomask3 posts the big blind of 100
The button is in seat #8

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sk8ram [Jd Js]
geeezeee folds
CousinGoose folds
KevinN folds
Foaming_Homer folds
sk8ram raises to 300
--PHILTHYRICH-- raises to 906, and is all in
MAINTAINEN folds
thomask3 has 15 seconds left to act
thomask3 raises to 3,276, and is all in
sk8ram has 15 seconds left to act
sk8ram has requested TIME
sk8ram folds
Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 AM

Default Re: $22: JJ facing overpush from BB $22

i would call with QQ, but with JJ its a fold to me.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:16 AM

You don't want to be flipping vs overs? Why the hell not?

You'd be going in as a favorite and getting a nice 900 chip overlay from the shortie pusher.

I'd only fold here if the BB was a rock, which he isn't from your description. Call. Not sure how this tourney plays, but you may be able to discount AA/KK a bit here as they may be raising less or just calling to keep you in the hand. So that leaves QQ as the only likely hand that's way ahead of you and there are tons of hands you're crushing or slightly ahead of.

Matt
Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 AM

My reasoning is because I'm still pretty deep and don't need to flip for his stack. It seems that this guy is poor enough to outplay and I'm in a fantastic seat to do so at a later point.

Or I'm really weak/tight, probably more so that.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning is because I'm still pretty deep and don't need to flip for his stack. It seems that this guy is poor enough to outplay and I'm in a fantastic seat to do so at a later point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna list three things that speaks for a call:
1. There's potential extra $ in the pot to be won so your equity is better than a flip.
2. Hands that you dominate are def in his range and I'd weigh those hands in more than AA-QQ.
3. Even if you lose, you'll still have more than 3K left.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When you say you don't need to flip, you should only be saying that when you have a big stack and you are heads up against a bigger stack.

And by calling here, I think you are outplaying him. If he shows TT or less AT or less, he outplayed you.

You don't have to take chances for all your chips. But this situation is a good chance for half your chips with some other money in the pot.

Also, you can lose to yo-yo stack and still come out of this hand with a profit by nailing BB.

I don't have pokerstove with me right now but I'll bet that equity-wise folding here would only be correct against a very tight range, especially BB.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:38 PM

I snapcall...your CO raise probably isn't being given much respect, BB's just looking to isolate for HU with shorty...the only time I'd ever consider folding is if BB was the rockiest of rocks (and probably end up calling anyways).
Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: $22: JJ facing overpush from BB

[ QUOTE ]
Firstly as I can't find one, anyone have a link to a hand history converter for FTP that works?

Secondly, hand in question.

I've been getting some nice cards and have doubled up twice with pocket kings and a set. I have a TAG image and have folded for about 2 orbits straight.

Thomask3 has been quite loose, doubling up first hand with an aj against a10 on an ace high flop. He has calmed down a little but is still playing more hands than he should.

Philthyrich is an idiot who has yoyo-ed his stack since this began.

My thoughts; folded to me with pocket jacks so I raise standard 3xBB. Short stack idiot pushes and I'm obv crushing his range. Then somewhat loose BB overpushes behind. I don't need to be flipping against overs for half my stack but BB could have a wider range than expected here.

Fold ok? Too weak against a loose player + shortstack.

Full Tilt Poker Game #3539287330: $20 + $2 Tournament (26951184), Table 6 - 50/100 - No Limit Hold'em - 9:56:02 ET - 2007/09/12
Seat 1: thomask3 (3,276)
Seat 2: geeezeee (626)
Seat 3: CousinGoose (1,720)
Seat 4: KevinN (1,370)
Seat 5: Foaming_Homer (1,729)
Seat 7: sk8ram (6,570)
Seat 8: --PHILTHYRICH-- (906)
Seat 9: MAINTAINEN (4,880)
MAINTAINEN posts the small blind of 50
thomask3 posts the big blind of 100
The button is in seat #8

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sk8ram [Jd Js]
geeezeee folds
CousinGoose folds
KevinN folds
Foaming_Homer folds
sk8ram raises to 300
--PHILTHYRICH-- raises to 906, and is all in
MAINTAINEN folds
thomask3 has 15 seconds left to act
thomask3 raises to 3,276, and is all in
sk8ram has 15 seconds left to act
sk8ram has requested TIME
sk8ram folds

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't fold. This is not a std 4-bet. BB could be trying to isolate here with a very wide range here that almost certainly includes hands that you dominate. Contrary to what you said above, this is a good situation for you to race, b/c there is a lot of dead money in the pot when shorty shoves.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:50 AM

Default Re: $22: JJ facing overpush from BB

Ok thanks.

I've always been fairly weak tight with jacks and they're probably my biggest leak along with a lot of other people I imagine.

I ended up taking fourth in this tourney anyway so luckily this didn't end up being a huge decision point, but I definately need to post some more pocket jacks hands.