Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2007, 01:22 AM

Default Re: Men and Women in the Workplace

[ QUOTE ]
Some women at my old office had the opposite problem. Because they were attractive, good at listening, and too polite to kick anyone out of their office, they became a magnet for visitors. They would often complain that the stream of visitors was affecting their productivity, and they didn't know how to kick them out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this particularly poignant as I am one of the only women at my workplace (movie set), I am in a position of authority, and I am still (relatively) young. I end up being :
1) shrink to beleaguered crew members - hearing about their work place woes, their spousal woes/questions, their family/children concerns etc etc
2) mentor to female members of my crew, advising them how to deal with men at work who either love em or want to eff em (often both) (that's always interesting), how I got to where I am etc etc
3) disciplinarian/ref when the "boys" don't "play" nicely amongst themselves or want to strategize about their own departmental issues (personnel, budget)

As some may know, I love my work, and consider the female aspect of therapist/ref/hero to be part of the role I am cast in. However, I can see where, if one is in a large organization, perhaps in a middle management position, where being the Sounding Board would be a drain, and not a plus. For me, though, it is one of my fav aspects of the job, to hear ppl's needs. That and I give good advice. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]