Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Fish in a Barrel...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's probably not the exact situation you might be looking for, but (going from memory), Largay talks about that when he initially sits down in a LLNL game in "No Limit Texas Hold'em"

Just looked it up, pg 166, talking about calling with 82s, with a raise from UTG to $20 (in a 1/2 game).

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, finally an actual recommendation for a book rather than flak.

It sounds like he is setting a tone as a loose, wild player and then playing tight. You're right that this isn't exactly the situation I was talking about regarding playing a trash hand to try and stack somebody.

I'll check out that book, thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's a bit of setting up loose play early then tightening up-that's part of it. The other part of why he recommends that is because of the limitation on buy-ins (it's a live play book), and it seems a lot of places--online too--have a buyin of 50-100 bb. That play sets up a loose image, and also can result in getting a nice stack to play more deep stacked poker. Although I think he talks about the use of calling with such cards as deception as well...

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that I think of it, one of the problems I seem to encounter is that I am playing against Level 1 thinkers. So much of my play which might be for deception or setting up an image or setting up any future play is lost on them. And one thing I am trying very hard to get a handle on is not to do too much Level 3 thinking against these players which can get me into trouble. On top of that, there are a few Level 2 players and if I stay at Level 2 as well, I can't outplay them.

Perhaps I am looking for two books as follows:

Volume 1: "How To Play Optimally Against Level 1 Thinkers"

Volume 2: "How To Tell Level 1 Thnikers From Level 2 Thinkers"

Thanks for all the replys and even the flak. It's been a slice.