Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 09-03-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Win rate with optimal strategy against limit raise bot

"Putting in an extra $3 gave you and extra $0.02 worth of hot and cold equity from the flop action, but it gave up chances to fold with as low as 10.1% equity getting $12:$2 on the river."

Is anybody able to paraphrase it so it sound easier to understand?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Putting in an extra $3 gave you and extra $0.02 worth of hot and cold equity from the flop action, but it gave up chances to fold with as low as 10.1% equity getting $12:$2 on the river."

[/ QUOTE ]

He's saying bloating the pot on the flop makes it harder to make a profitable river laydown cuz the pot would be too large.

I'd imagine there are probably spots where you're sub 50%, where you'd want to bloat the pot on the flop to make calling on the turn easier (say if you had a draw), and/or even calling the river more profitable. Pzhon can chime in if I'm wrong or right.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's saying bloating the pot on the flop makes it harder to make a profitable river laydown cuz the pot would be too large.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, although it is interesting to see how a fold can be described as profitable. It's common to say that folding is worth 0, but that's not the right base line here.

[ QUOTE ]

I'd imagine there are probably spots where you're sub 50%, where you'd want to bloat the pot on the flop to make calling on the turn easier (say if you had a draw), and/or even calling the river more profitable. Pzhon can chime in if I'm wrong or right.

[/ QUOTE ]
In NL, when your opponent may have an information advantage and your bets now decrease the amount which can be bet later, you can raise as an underdog. Maybe that could be the case in limit, too. However, I don't see how that could happen in this hypothetical situation.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:07 AM

What I don't understand is why we are talking in vague term like "makes it _harder_ to make a profitable laydown." The bot from OP is 100% predictable so we can talk in numbers. I assume we have all the time and computing power in the world for every street decision against this bot.
And I am wondering why we are talking about "fold with as low as 10.1%" after I demonstrated that by 4-betting the flop there is no card on turn or river which would make folding the best option.
If the argument is: "By just calling flop you can make FOLDING the best option on turn or river" then I ask: Isn't it in our best interest to not ever make folding the best option?
I still don't know what "winning hot and cold" means.