Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 08-29-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: PHDs - tell me about your experience

[ QUOTE ]
hey 2 u got some really good advice here especially from dis..

my situation is so close to yours, and i will advise you, do not go back for your phd unless you want to teach at the college level

if you have been working for 10 years, you have to be older, how are you going to support yourself while going full time???? There are no part time phd programs.. Can you live on the salary like dis says???

ive studied in south america not europe but it sounds like you are at a major career change just like me...

pm me if u want to bs

[/ QUOTE ]

thx good replies all. I'm mid-30s so like a grandfather on 2+2 - luckily I've saved a ton so I could def swing a couple years with no work and most of the schools I've researched basically waive tuition and give you a stipend assuming you fulfill your TA and teaching duties (PhD in Finance at least).

From other posters is does indeed seem that the typical tenured professor seems to be completely immersed in work with little free time, which is kind of like me job now...hmnnnnnnnn
Old 08-31-2007, 07:20 PM

I just finished reading an article about the value of a psychology research PhD. I found it pretty interesting. The author was extremely discourageing to say the least!

Several questions for our professors out there,

- how common is it now for universities to simply hire adjunct professors and completely sidestep the tenure positions? Is this the trend for the future? Do adjunct professors work on a year to year contract and would you say these positions help or hurt your resume?

- Once you are in a PhD program, are you basically a slave to your major adviser? Do you have much say in your own research design or are you helping your adviser do his own research?
Old 08-31-2007, 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Once you are in a PhD program, are you basically a slave to your major adviser? Do you have much say in your own research design or are you helping your adviser do his own research?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on your adviser. My first adviser basically ignored what I was telling him I wanted to do and wanted me to pursue his research. I switched advisers. This caused some angst as my adviser, former dept head, tried to get the dept head to not approve my request. Luckily, my new adviser went to bat for me and I finished on time and I had a lot of leeway in my research.