ND -6.5 (Mansion) 7 23.33%
GT +7.5 (Bodog) 14 46.67%
No idea show results 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Re: What do you prefer to play, Cash or Sit and Gos

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hardly anyone plays SNGs as their main game. That is online poker infancy IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this. Its 2 different games. Not that you can't play both and profit, but just because you can play cash games doesn't mean you'll be profitable at SNG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Different skill sets and different mindsets.

I make money playing cash, but am not a winning SNG player.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:26 AM

I'm probably a break even or worse player at NL ring, but a winning player at SnG at the stakes I play (homeless stakes). Def different skill sets and I find I have another problem - psychologically I can't put my full attention into playing for nickels at NL ring, so I play awful (calling station).

But the stakes don't make much difference at SnGs during the game (% of prize pool for 1st/2nd/3rd sets the strategy vs. actual $$$ value), so I play up to my talent level even if it's for $1.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hardly anyone plays SNGs as their main game. That is online poker infancy IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this. Its 2 different games. Not that you can't play both and profit, but just because you can play cash games doesn't mean you'll be profitable at SNG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct. Different skill sets and different mindsets.

I make money playing cash, but am not a winning SNG player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem with SnGs nowadays is that the near correct theoretical play is too easy to master. Too many people playing correctly = small ROI.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM

sngs are good to build your bankroll to around $1k. that's about it. anyone who's playing sngs for a living are seriously wasting their time.

10% ROI at the $55 = $7.33/hr (about 45 minutes a tourney)
5ptbb/100 at $100NL = $9/hr (about 90 hands an hour)

now...look at how many games there are above $100NL. then look at how many sngs there are above $55. do the math.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:34 PM

When I play I usually run three cash tables and one SNG table. If I take a bad hit in a cash game, playing the SNG at least helps me break even or close to it for the night.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sngs are good to build your bankroll to around $1k. that's about it. anyone who's playing sngs for a living are seriously wasting their time.

now...look at how many games there are above $100NL. then look at how many sngs there are above $55. do the math.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is flawed because sitngoes are so much easier to multitable since the "correct" decision is very obvious much of the time. in my sitngo prime, 16 tables was standard, and over 20 was not unusual, while cash games require much more thinking IMO. this drastically changes youre $/hour math
Old 07-07-2007, 01:50 PM

SNG speeds take around 25 mins, very easy to play 6+ at a time..
Old 07-07-2007, 02:32 PM

Evidently, I'm a major guppy at ring games [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] But I play the $30 SnG's and have a %19 ROI playing 3 at a time. I'm working on adding tables to up my hourly rate.

I use my SnG profits to fund my stripers and beer habit.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is flawed because sitngoes are so much easier to multitable since the "correct" decision is very obvious much of the time. in my sitngo prime, 16 tables was standard, and over 20 was not unusual, while cash games require much more thinking IMO. this drastically changes youre $/hour math

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, I think there are other reasons why SNGs are a better choice for some people. I had played limit cash and then limit 6max for several years, but eventually the games go so full of rocks I decided I'd had enough and would either move to NL SNGs or NL cash about a year ago today. Looking back I'm quite glad I chose to play SNGs now.

I found that I can play 12 table of SNGs for upto 5 hour sessions without really fatiguing, but I can't play anything like that for cash games... My record number of hands in a day playing limit 6max was 4.5k with 2k being about as much as I could stand, but with SNGs I can regularly play 2-3 sessions of 4k hands in a day and not really even notice (my eyes don't seem to handle it well though so I'm trying to play shorter sessions now...).

Also, I find that my most likely cause of tilt is not bad beats anymore, but making mistakes myself and after a few cash game mistakes I start to beat myself up and the old tilt monster starts to creep in. On the other hand I can take bad beats and running into AA all day long in SNGs and not even a whiff of tilt.

The only problem I see is that their are more and more Russian pushbots and more and more tight German multi-tablers every week and however good you are it's eventually gonna be impossible to counter the baseline -9% ROI from the fee and I'll have to move on and play something else (ie: a 10% ROI player who has his profits cut in half now becomes almost breakeven...).

Juk [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2007, 03:45 PM

I started out in sngs but now I hate them cuz I suck horribly in them so if u ever see me in one u know who the fish is