Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 07-07-2007, 04:47 AM

Default NL10 AJo in the BB

My thought process for not raising preflop was that I was in the BB and mostly OOP. I know its probably wrong to think like that but, I feel like I have just begun to understand position and would rather not get into a sticky situation OOP like I have many times.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $10.70
Hero (BB): $12.30
UTG: $9.35
CO: $10.10
BTN: $9.80

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG calls $0.10, CO folds, BTN calls $0.10, SB folds, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.35) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.30</font>, UTG calls $0.30, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1.10</font>, Hero calls $0.80, UTG folds

Turn: ($2.85) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $2.30</font>, Hero calls $2.30

River: ($7.45) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $2.70</font>, Hero folds
Uncalled bet of $2.70 returned to BTN

Pot Size: $7.45 ($0.70 Rake)

I really didn't want to let go, alot of it was also because I chose not to raise preflop.Is it because of these bad plays that my stats shows that I'm in the negative in unraised pots?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:27 AM

Default Re: NL10 AJo in the BB

I think ur preflop check isnt too bad. U have an UTG limp and have the worst position postflop. Sometimes I raise but usually I just check the hand as you did.
Flop bet is fine.
But when BTN raises you thats where things become more difficult. U now have a reverse implied odds hand and are oop.
I think calling the flop is ok but why are you calling his turn bet when ur folding to suck a weak river bet?
I would c/f to a reasonable bet on the turn.
As played u have to call that river getting those great odds.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:30 AM

Too much heat here, I guess I'd call that flop raise but maybe that's bad, the turn I likely fold, your hand didn't got any better and tons of hands beat you (it's a limped pot), I don't recommend raising PF for the reason you mention, oop sucks a lot, as played I call that small bet on the river. Reads help too...
Old 07-07-2007, 05:36 AM

I do most of the times the same with AJo. But in an unraised pot this is not the best hand to play so I would fold it and find a better spot to put your money in.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:47 PM

I agree its played well up till the turn. On the turn it seems like villian wants to either build the pot or induce your fold. Without a solid read can we really call with just top pair?

The biggest leak Im trying to fix right now is losing to much money with just top pair. My sample size is small but I have lost $44 over 1,107 top pair hands. Hands like this seem to be exactly where I struggle. Anyone have any advice to address this?