Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 06-25-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Almost every dealer prefers tips as bets - chance for double the tip!

[/ QUOTE ]

god they're so dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol it's true though, almost every dealer will tell you they prefer the action.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:57 PM

I totally understand tipping the girls who are dancing on stage. I have never been fond of tipping for lapdances. Anytime a girl can make upwards of 100 dollars in 20 minutes then the are really getting greedy expecting a tip. I have lived in ATL and MPLS, both of which have pretty trivent strip club scenes. Never felt like a tip was expected and a few have asked (MPLS) and if they were excellent I would tip, but I never tip after a lap dance generally.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:20 PM

I base it on the cab driver. I grab a cab expecting to tip $2-$4 and adjust based on the ride.
-if I get taken the longer route
-if they bitch about length of fare
-if they ask more than once if I want to go to a strip club

+if they give me a useful tip, or a good story
+if they don't make an tip related comments
+if they turn the meter off early, like as you drive up the ramp instead of letting it run while you wait behind another cab trying to get that last .20
+if I feel bad for my short fare(ie, once I had to get from the Mandalay to the Luxor ASAP, so I took a cab but felt bad that the dude waited line for 20 mins for a $5 fare so I told him I felt bad for the short ride and I would just give him $10. I think he turned the meter off before we even left the parking lot...)

My better cabbies either entertained me or giving me tons of useful tips about lame routes that cabs take. My worse ride ever was from MB to M&M world area. This lady starts muttering and at first I thought she was crazy, then I realized she was just going off on me, californians, etc, and she was crazy. She was so bad that the fare was $9.80 and I took the .20, I woulda called and complained, but its vegas, why do I wanna waste my time on hold with a cab company..... I bet her next fare really got an earful.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:31 PM

I think 8 dollars on that fare is a little low. I'd have rounded up to 7 and then tipped the extra dollar to make it 9 because 1 dollar on 7 seems low. I round up past like .20 usually. Anything below .20 I round down. On things that are close like this one I always just give the extra dollar.

Also I just tell the cabbie as I give him the money how much I want back, so I never get asked how much I want back. It also takes control of the conversation making it less likely to get any flack about the amount I want back. You guys complaining about this are poker players, come on think one step ahead. You know he is going to ask, so answer him ahead of time and you won't be annoyed by the question anymore.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:32 PM

shaniac,

"What do y'all tip on that $40 ride?"

$10, maybe $20 based on a combo of how much I am winning / how cool he is / how drunk I am.

I also find it just as surprising as you that people aren't ridiculously free with their money in Vegas. When in Vegas, the value of money changes drastically for me and I overtip like crazy. My comments regarding tipping cabbies in this thread reflect what I think is reasonable, not what I usually actually end up tipping.

As a general rule, cabbie w/ good stories, useful information, and good personalities get extra tips.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:34 PM

rory,

"Also I just tell the cabbie as I give him the money how much I want back, so I never get asked how much I want back."

I'm assuming that's standard and what most people do.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shaniac,

"What do y'all tip on that $40 ride?"

$10, maybe $20 based on a combo of how much I am winning / how cool he is / how drunk I am.

I also find it just as surprising as you that people aren't ridiculously free with their money in Vegas. When in Vegas, the value of money changes drastically for me and I overtip like crazy. My comments regarding tipping cabbies in this thread reflect what I think is reasonable, not what I usually actually end up tipping.

As a general rule, cabbie w/ good stories, useful information, and good personalities get extra tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

if it makes you happy.

the last time i was in vegas (march) i took limos/cars everywhere, often just handing them a bill for the ride. in addition, i was doing kareem adul jabar style hook shots with twenties at the spearmint rhino.

kermit
Old 06-25-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I landed in Vegas at 11:45pm on New Years Eve. Hopped in a cab. Very nice cabbie asks where to, and I reply the monte carlo. He floors it and asks if I have seen the fireworks on new years before, I reply that I hadn't. He says, "well traffic is crazy, you are going to miss them if I take you all the way around to the MC, how about I drop you across the street at Paris?" I said, "that'd be great!"

This extra thought got this guy a larger than normal tip.

Another time I hopped in a cab at the SLO airport at midnight. I needed a ride to Arroyo Grande, about 20 miles. He explained he wasn't supposed to be taking fares as he was supposed to be picking his boss up at the airport. I asked if there were anymore cabs assigned to the airport, he replied that there weren't. He said his boss would have to wait, and took me home at about 100mph on backroads playing the local metal station loudly. He got a nice tip.

If cabbies are going to angleshoot for a larger tip, at least tell a good story. Comedic Cab drivers are the best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cabby gets good tip for such actions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2007, 04:01 PM

this thread should just be titled "why are vegas cabbies so wierd" i have heard more bizarre stories and crazy rants from vegas cabbies than all other drivers put together. i usually tip huge if they keep their yap shut for the whole ride. unfortunately, i don't have to tip huge very often.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:06 PM

the hole if we didnt tip prices would go up isnt always true
Plenty of bartenders make 300-500 a night in tips
Do you really think that if people didnt tip in bars that the bar owners would raise prices enough to pay them such a high wage?