Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 06-07-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Re: Live: aces against UTG raiser

This is a bizarre situation. As the OP said, live players tend to be tight, so don't look at this from the online POV. OTOH this is a very strange bet. AK is a possibility, but wouldn't he C/R or lead for less with that? I think he has precisely KK or JJ... or he is an idiot. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] In a live tourney, if he is a decent player, he has to be thinking that there is a very good chance we have AA or KK.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:47 AM

There is a little over 2k in the pot and you have about 6k in your stack so reverse implied odds here are not a factor.

What beats you : KK, JJ, 66, KJ, J6. None of those hands are very probable but none the less they occur. If you are beat well you are beat.

What you beat : AK, KQ, Kx (other than J or 6), AQ, AJ, Q-10, QQ, JJ, 10-10, 99, 88, 77 etc. Now all of those hands are more probable than the hands that beat you.

You can not fold here. Do not try to figure out exactly what he has because you do not have the information you need to do so. The range of possibilities puts you ahead here and you guys are both short. You go for broke or double up here.

So you can call or raise all in. Frankly, vilain just pot commited himself with is 4000 bet and I think either calling or moving all in will not change much. I still think it is better to just call and let him put the rest of his moeny on the turn but not by much.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:49 AM

Sorry, forgot to add this to my post - on reflection, this sure looks like KJ - it looks like a scared 2-pair bet from a weak player.