Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Re: Trying to vary my play...

Trying to vary your play a little can be a good thing, but you have to have a reason. This seems like random variation, and therefore not a good reason. If I were you, I'd try to play perfect optimal poker. Then wait for an inspiration to hit you. I'm not saying don't look for them, I'm just saying wait until the reason is very clear to you. Such as "Oh! In this situation I'm pretty sure this guy puts me on this hand, and I can win 1.5 more BB by letting him think that by doing this on the flop because of the passive third player who's trapped and the draw my other opponent is likely to have..." You get the point.

Just calling the flop, then reraising the turn when the serious money starts going in, is just backward with no payback for your "variation".
Old 05-30-2007, 05:18 PM

I've had such a strong table image at times that I was getting too much respect for my UTG raises, even at what was normally a no-fold em table if I didn't enter the pot in EP. So I've limped UTG with AA a few of times, which HPFAP suggests is a possible play. The last time, I had two red aces and found myself facing an all-spade flop. Guy in the blinds bet flop and turn with top pair and the guy to my left (it was three-handed after the flop) bluffed the river with a missed nut flush draw, but I made the overcall on the end to take the pot.

I also opened with a limp in EP once when I had a strong tell that a certain player behind me was going to raise (but he was the sort who would respect my raises and probably not 3-bet me with JJ or AK), so I went for the limp-reraise.

But the spots where I would consider limping in EP with AA are pretty rare.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Normally I would have 3-bet the flop with top pair top kicker. I wanted to try waiting until the turn when the bet size doubles. Mistake or correct play?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the pot were bigger, I might see it. Why make a strong move on the turn in a sm-med sized pot?

The pot is small and they want to jam it on the flop. Jam it with them.

b
Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus, I like to make a raise UTG with a sub-par holding very early in the session to (1)see what people at the table will call 2 cold PF with and (2) leave a mistaken impression that I am loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds cool, but you're overestimating it's impact.

1] You can do that by watching when others raise

2] That impression doesn't stay long if past an orbit or 2. Anyone observant enough to notice will also notice your frequency of this play.

b
Old 05-31-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Based on the feed back I received when I first joined this forum, I have been trying to vary my play and become less of an ABC player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you trying to vary your play? Are you not getting any action? I haven't seen your reason for this anywhere in this thread.

b
Old 05-31-2007, 05:26 AM

If it were a NL game i may have limped. If you raise and someone else throws in another raise you may have to fold. Beings it was limit i would always raise and bet down as long as you felt u were ahead. And how much action do you really want with AJ anyways?
Old 06-01-2007, 12:00 PM

out of curiosity I took a look at the raising standrards in Hold'em poker for Advanced players.

They don't directly mention AJo as a raising hand, though do sugest in a tough game you might want to fold it up front. (too hard to play if you get isolated by a raiser).
Old 06-01-2007, 12:04 PM

weighing the odds in holdem poker sugest just limping in from early position with ajo...

And we all know that if someone puts advise in a book it must be true.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
weighing the odds in holdem poker sugest just limping in from early position with ajo...

[/ QUOTE ]
I just read through this whole thread for the first time. Ugh. Did anyone mention that this is 8-handed? At a 10-handed table, AJo (and KQo) are marginal hands from EP. 8-handed, I think this is a pretty easy raise at most tables.

As for the play, I agree with the poster who said, in so many words, "Waiting for the turn to raise isn't a bad idea. Not taking into account that there was already a bet and raise in front of you on the turn was."
Old 06-01-2007, 03:48 PM

1) Well, there's a difference b/w calling a raise when you already have $3 out there and calling $6 cold. It's a good way to find out the relative tightness of the table.. and whose PF range is widest.
2) I usually back it up by doing it a second time as soon as I am dealt another hand like 64s, K9s etc.. You're right that once is not enough. But twice in 5 or 6 orbits probably is.