Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 05-21-2007, 11:05 AM

Default Re: What\'s your table image?...And is mine a problem?

Mine is tight and very agg with any hand I play(limit). That said,(& some will disagree with me) but you'd be amazed at the action you get for hours when you show down a busted draw or marg hand that you raised PF with. I will do this from time to time during the session. If one is just raising with QQ, KK, AA, AK & AQ type hands that is giving away way too much info(I learned this from a 2+2er). I still raise the big type hands PF but I will throw in raises with a more spec hands and if it doesn't connect try and show it down as cheaply as possible. As long as this is not overdone, doing this cost a few extra bets but gets you plenty of action if you just play ultra tight after that. Overall tight play still works the best for me but don't be afraid to mix it up a bit here and there.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mason has written about how a tight image is likely the best one for limit hold'em. Your post gives a good example of why he is correct. If you were playing $200-$400, you might want to change your style a bit, but for low and medium stakes games, tight-aggressive will get the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like others have said the reason this works is because most people in low limit games don't pay attention to anything but the cards they hold and the ones on the board (sometimes not even the board).

If you find that everyone folds when you raise, bluff more often. It will do 2 things. Allow you to steal a few small pots (some medium ones too, maybe) and change your image to a really good one (probably the best), tight, aggressive & tricky. People will have a hard time reading your hands; they will become frustrated and tilt trying to adjust to your play.

I'm not saying that I have mastered this, but I sure hate it when someone is able to do this to me. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

You obviously need to be selective with who you try to bluff, but even when you get caught it is a good thing, in the long run.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:40 AM

I play tight preflop (usually) but super aggro. I bet draws constantly. I'll raise bottom pair if I think it'll give me an advantage. I cbet whenever I feel no one has anything, regardless of what I have.

This is in itself enough to get me action whenever I want it in a live limit game.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:22 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Don't worry about what specific image you have. Worry about knowing it and exploiting it. Wynn 15 regulars think I'm loose and a little crazy and ALWAYS running well. Commerce 40 players invariably think I'm way way too tight.

You'd be surprised how much of a difference can be made by how you put your chips into the pot.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 AM

So do like I do: PF raise with 42s and 87o once in a while, they will wonder why you insta muck to a bet on a AKJr board, 'I had pocket 9's...'

Or like I did betting every street on K82r flop with my 87o hitting two pair on the river and everyone left mucks and I showed it anyhow, and some whiny old fart asks what I had with that... Nice to know you can't pay attention, sir and yes your remaining $16 in chips will be gone very soon.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since the table is loose, what I seem to be doing is changing people from betting and calling a raise to checking and calling a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]That is MUCH less preferable than the OP's examples if you actually are tight.
If I have a chance to build an image, I like to "train" my opponents to fold to my bets/raises by playing super tight at first then I open up my game once I see that they are paying attention. If they're not paying attention, just keep betting the nuts and getting paid off...
sounds like you are right on track cmoke.

edit: P.S. like several other posters have said, whichever way you play, it is great to have an image so long as you can get your opponents to make mistakes because of it.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He flips out and folds face up saying "anything but a king!!" I look down and there are two Aces staring back. I think about it for a second, and turn my hand faceup. "Oh" he says "I thought you flopped a set, the way you played preflop" WTF

[/ QUOTE ]

You were doing great until you showed down just TPTK - next time fold face down and say "dang, I flopped a set... sure you don't want to pay me off??"

In this case it was your image that WON THE POT. Why would you want to change this?

AB
Old 05-24-2007, 01:47 PM

a retard who looks retarded
Old 05-24-2007, 02:25 PM

I'm the middle aged Steve Danneman looking guy with the Hawaiian shirt that the 25 year old ball capp wearing, sun glasses, black T-Shirt guys are looking for.

The thing is....I'm working to isolate them too. There's nothing more fun.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You were doing great until you showed down just TPTK -
In this case it was your image that WON THE POT. Why would you want to change this?
AB

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason at the time was because I thought I wanted him to doubt himself next time we faced eachother.

Reading through these posts makes me realize my Q was kind of foolish. Whatever your image is, just know it, and exploit it.

I just wondered about everyone with a LAG mentality as that is not really me.

my two scents [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]