Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 PM

Default Finding something to replace poker

I think that im a degenerate gambler who doesn't know when to quit in the last 2 weeks i've lost a $500 bankroll a small amount, but considering I'm basically flat broke it feels like a lot. It seems that i can play poker well for a while and then do something stupid like play blackjack or play 3/6nl. Poker has basically ruled my life for a year now and I'm finding it has made me anti-social and made it difficult for me to connect with other people. I've done badly in exams and dropped out of university because of it but whenever i try and quit it never happens. I need to find something to replace poker because i have an obsessive personality. At the moment i have basically no other interests and I think i need to find something else to focus on.Im still only 18 but i feel like I've wasted the last year of my life. How can i cure myself of this harmful addiction?

Ps. I'm starting a new university course in September and i know if I can't stop playing i will fail my course. I've unistalled all poker software from computer but i need to reinstall it for rakeback.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Finding something to replace poker

Problem #1 is your asking other poker addicts how to quit poker.
I have a better idea play less, player lower limits, and most of all become a winning player and it won’t be such a problem. On a side not I hade to stop on line poker because it was to consuming
Old 05-11-2007, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Problem #1 is your asking other poker addicts how to quit poker.
I have a better idea play less, player lower limits, and most of all become a winning player and it won’t be such a problem. On a side not I hade to stop on line poker because it was to consuming

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing less (for the OP) doesn't sound like an option. It really sounds like he needs to quit- he is saying that himself for g0d's sake. And don't assume that everyone who plays is an addict (ie poker causes a problem with their lives). In today's changing world- education and qualifications must come first. T1tsing-up university would be a disaster.

To the OP:
-reading?
-Music?
-Video games?
-Chess?
-Art?
-Keep fit / weight training?
-Swimming / running?
-Computer programming / web design?
Voluntary work?
Hiking / orienteering?

C'MON MAN!!!! There MUST be something that you can get into?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:04 AM

If you want to quit poker, you need to use the power of peer pressure.

You need to surround yourself with friends who not only don't play poker, but downright disapprove of it. That kind of pressure always works a treat. The downside of this is that you will also need to cut poker playing friends out of your life... otherwise its next to impossible to give up your poker addiction. If the oppurtunity to indulge/discuss/think about poker is presented to you on a regular basis, you will find it hard to let go... not even attempting to replace it with another hobby will work, if the temptation to play poker/gamble is presenting itself all the time.

Plus, don't try to replace poker with just one single new hobby... instead have two or three new hobbies to replace it (that way, you avoid simply 'shifting' your addiction to another game/hobby/person/vice). Choose stuff that you have always wanted to do, or have previously enjoyed doing.

Finally... [ QUOTE ]
I've unistalled all poker software from computer but i need to reinstall it for rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ] ... uninstall the poker software again, and forget about your rakeback payments. Seriously. Its likely that, that rakeback money will be in your poker account for the next year... but you need to cut off the poker rooms from your life right NOW...
Old 05-11-2007, 04:19 PM

Let him cash out his rakeback...
Old 05-11-2007, 06:49 PM

I find that video games can make a nice replacement...similarly addictive. You could also inform the sites that you have a problem and tell them not to let you play. If you are addicted enough you may work around that, but it would at least be helpful.

Posting here is probably helpful, too. It can be hard to quit stuff if you have a compulsive personality. Just keep trying?

To the first responder, there is more to addiction than winning or losing $$. I have won huge amounts of money playing online, but decided that it was extremely unhealthy, and that I needed to be doing something else. I still 'relapse' every once in awhile and reinstall software, deposit, and play...I usually win, but am disgusted with myself afterwards, because I tend to play for half a day straight, drink, and smoke more, all for the sake of a few bucks...
Old 05-12-2007, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that im a degenerate gambler who doesn't know when to quit in the last 2 weeks i've lost a $500 bankroll a small amount, but considering I'm basically flat broke it feels like a lot. It seems that i can play poker well for a while and then do something stupid like play blackjack or play 3/6nl. Poker has basically ruled my life for a year now and I'm finding it has made me anti-social and made it difficult for me to connect with other people. I've done badly in exams and dropped out of university because of it but whenever i try and quit it never happens. I need to find something to replace poker because i have an obsessive personality. At the moment i have basically no other interests and I think i need to find something else to focus on.Im still only 18 but i feel like I've wasted the last year of my life. How can i cure myself of this harmful addiction?

Ps. I'm starting a new university course in September and i know if I can't stop playing i will fail my course. I've unistalled all poker software from computer but i need to reinstall it for rakeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, do you consider poker to be fun?? if not, you need to quit. I don't do anything that I don't think is fun. If you truly enjoy the game but lose more then you win, play the micro stakes. My brother sucks but im sending him $10-$20 every now and then but the rule is he doesnt play 25c/50c or above (LIMIT!!) He may enjoy those games more then the people that are playing $30/$60. If your just in it for the money then youve got a problem, and the replacement could be a job which is guaranteed $$$$ If your just looking for more fun Poker Plan made a great list of things to do. I probably play an unhealthy amount of poker but I enjoy it, if I didn't then I know theres a lot more to life then poker and money. Good luck
Old 05-12-2007, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*SNIP* ...I know theres a lot more to life then poker and money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had you up until here, but then I got lost. Can you explain? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm finding it has made me anti-social and made it difficult for me to connect with other people. I've done badly in exams and dropped out of university. At the moment i have basically no other interests.Im still only 18

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be using poker to escape these hard 'antisocial' feelings rather than poker creating them. Of course they both fall into a circle. What you describe sounds a bit like mild depression, but youve definetly got a good head on you, recognising your potential (im only 18) and deciding to go back to uni.

I think if you work on your social life by just going out and having a good time with mates etc, things like poker will automatically prioritise themselves in your life.

Good luck with uni aswell.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm finding it has made me anti-social and made it difficult for me to connect with other people. I've done badly in exams and dropped out of university. At the moment i have basically no other interests.Im still only 18

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be using poker to escape these hard 'antisocial' feelings rather than poker creating them. Of course they both fall into a circle. What you describe sounds a bit like mild depression, but youve definetly got a good head on you, recognising your potential (im only 18) and deciding to go back to uni.

I think if you work on your social life by just going out and having a good time with mates etc, things like poker will automatically prioritise themselves in your life.

Good luck with uni aswell.

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes you sound like me... the less I do socially the more I play.. the more I play the less I even look for social events. Honestly, I dont care if you are winning missing out on life is not worth it.