Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Entertainment Betting

Old 05-09-2007, 01:56 PM

Default Re: AI season 6 winner =

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ABC, CBS, NBC.

They now have hope that this dynasty may finally die.

worst performances ever. worst season ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ratings talk, critics walk.

This is television and contestant quality is barely on the radar screen when it comes to the success of American Idol as a business.

[/ QUOTE ]

while the ratings are still much higher than anything on TV, they are awful from idol standards. more importantly, the fact that the show is so bad this year will damage the idol hype going into next season.

[/ QUOTE ]

People have been mentioning it all season, but to be honest I don't think Idol's share has dropped much if any this season. Ratings across the board are down 10% over last year (for network TV in general,) and that's about the drop I've seen for Idol in all the comparisons from last season. I'm not saying that this season doesn't suck, obviously it's awful, but I'm not sure they're taking a real ratings hit....yet. Like Granny, I'll be interested to see how this affects next season, because they've certainly tarnished their image somewhat.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ratings across the board are down 10% over last year (for network TV in general,)

[/ QUOTE ]

No - by any metric (Live, LiveSD, Live+3, Live+7) this is not true not even close to that large a drop-off.

Anyway I just requested a ratings track for AI ratings performance historical to-date... I doubt there's any drop-off at all.

-Al
Old 05-09-2007, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i see taylor as another bob dylan in a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The picture doesn't do the absurdity of that comment justice, unless you mean he will slowly become unintelligible.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 PM

Taylor would be lucky to be the next Jake Dylan.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and that's about the drop I've seen for Idol in all the comparisons from last season.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
while the ratings are still much higher than anything on TV, they are awful from idol standards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol seriously where do you people get your information from? Are you just making stuff up based on your gut?

This season's Idol:

Tuesday Night Ratings - for A18-49, slight drop-off from last season (4.5%) with lower % share drop-off, but *still* second highest season to-date ratings in Idol history.

Wednesday Night Ratings - for A18-49, best ratings and share in show history.

-Al
Old 05-09-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i see taylor as another bob dylan in a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The picture doesn't do the absurdity of that comment justice, unless you mean he will slowly become unintelligible.

[/ QUOTE ]

why is it absurd?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Analyst:

[ QUOTE ]
Jordan has glaring technical flaws

[/ QUOTE ]

She really does... again I've been pimping Jordin hard since the beginning, but her technical deficiencies (this is important, because when you execute well technically you actually sound much, much better) were glaring on "Woman in Love". Her breathing was horrid, she was gasping for air and couldn't push through her phrases. Really bad performance, sounded like [censored]. Go listen to Barbara Streisand sing that song, the way it should be executed.

I love Jordin's voice and tone but she needs to get a good voice teacher and develop a better musical ear.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I find the Jordan bashing seriously amusing.

The girl is 17 !!!!!

Does she have lot's to learn ? Totally.

But does she have an amazing voice ? Absolutely.

One of the best "raw" voices ever on A.I. ? Absolutely in my opinion.

Do you guys think Barry Gibb is tone deaf ? The guy said that he thinks she's is gonna be one of the great recording voices of the near future . . and to me that is saying something.

The biggest problem that I think these contestants (lakisha and Jordan especially) are having is in dealing with the band over powering them. Someone mentioned this a few weeks ago where the band seems much much louder at certain times. I noticed it a lot last night where the contestants were "yelling" to try and sing above the sound of the band.

For me it was the most pronounced on Jordan's second song. Go back and listen to the difference in the level of the band between her first and her second song. The band was so loud during her second song that at times you could barely hear her sing. When I listened to her studio stuff with Barry Gibb she sounded amazing and then she comes out and was all over the place during the live performance. Doesn't make any sense to me other than the effect that the band had.

Seriously, the band and the arrangement was brutal during her second song. Look at her face while she is singing and it almost looks like she is in pain trying to sing above the band.

I've noticed a tonne of times this season, the contestant will turn and look at the band as if to say "what the fxxk" ? Blake does this a lot.

This also may be why Lakisha seems to "yell" a lot during certain songs.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hey I was with you all the way revots33 but like StellarWind, I don't think Taylor was much of a vocal tallent.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I realize Taylor is very polarizing. I thought he was a great performer and had a very good (and more importantly unique) voice.

However, even if you hate him my point still stands that they should not be focusing on marketability when choosing the top 24. Pick the most unique talents, and even us old folks will get excited about the show. Taylor had a HUGE fan base last year, and I doubt they were 12-year old text voters. When I saw Tami Gosnell during the auditions I saw this year's female Taylor - the blues singer who older fans could rally around. She never even got a chance because she wasn't deemed marketable enough (especially after Taylor's CD sales, I'm guessing).

[/ QUOTE ]

I do agree with what your saying though. I actually loved Taylor early on last season but my enjoyment of his overall talent waned as I realized how weak his voice was.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However, I agree that tonight's show was terrible, but I hate the Bee Gees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now can I get an AMEN?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dig the Beegees.
The problem is their music is iconic, and not easily covered due to their unique sound

[/ QUOTE ]

So I take it this is not the AMEN I was looking for? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-09-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
word is that we have not seen anything good from taylor because he is waiting to be out from under the idol contract iron curtain. i see taylor as another bob dylan in a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am totally with Granny on this one. I'm not saying it will happen. I'm saying it definitely could because this guy has a unique voice and some serious talent.

Where I saw it most was on the 3-4 songs that he did before entering Idol (Soul Thing, Hell of a Day) etc. These songs are all very well played on my Ipod.

Not a huge Kelly Clarkson fan but I seem to recall that it was her second album (where she likely had more artistic license) that really propelled her to where she is.