Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 04-20-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: ***OFFICIAL*** LOST Season 3 Episode 17 Discussion -spoiler free-

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't looked into this much, but I imagine some African countries are former Portuguese colonies, so this might tie into the men at the listening station and the Portuguese version of Catch-22 as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Portugal had several African colonies: Angola, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau on the mainland, and the Sao Tome e Principe and Cape Verde ISLANDS [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

Also, Argil-22 is the Brazilian Portuguese translation of Catch-22, I believe in Portugal the book was called Codigo-22. Also, the guys in the arctic hut had Brazilian
accents.

(6 years after graduation from college, my degree in Portuguese is finally paying some dividends!)
Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 AM

Ardil also means "smart like a fox" or "astute", but I'm not sure that has much meaning in this case.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
remember when Ethan says I had to strap you down...towards the end there it gets reaaallly bumpy

Are we to assume that this may be why the helicopter crashed possibly? some kind of artificial turbulence?

[/ QUOTE ]

A good call - just being under water dissipates the EM field so the sub doesn't break apart like a plane.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:29 PM

is the consensus that the submarine was a meaningless prop? bumpy ride, whatever. clearly they have a different way of getting to/from the island.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:57 PM

That's kinda what I was wondering too, I mean if the sub. blew, why would juliet have any allegiance to ben if that was the only way off the island...so obv. there is another way.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From gwhiz' link.

Superman Would So Totally Beat The Flash in A Race
Speaking of the Flash, there was a flash over Hurley's left shoulder shortly before the arrow trap. This was time being changed. This was the moment that Desmond decided in favor of Charlie's life. He looks for and sees the trap before it happens, giving him time to tackle and save Charlie once again. That flash represents the timeline skewing off in a different direction, another (alternate?) tangent - all at the complete mercy of Desmond.

Ridiculous. This actually exists. I don't think we can really question Lost's attention to detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually saw this too and mentioned it to my roomate. He swore it was just the sunlight's reflection though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming this is what you're talking about, I think it's just lens flare...

[/ QUOTE ]yeah thats it. Although brief it was VERY NOTICABLE to me. Many havn't noticed I guess though, so maybe I'm just overreacting. I just can't imagine that they'd make a mistake that big and that it'd happen just as we got to the point in the story that Des had been having the premonitions about.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
From gwhiz' link.

Superman Would So Totally Beat The Flash in A Race
Speaking of the Flash, there was a flash over Hurley's left shoulder shortly before the arrow trap. This was time being changed. This was the moment that Desmond decided in favor of Charlie's life. He looks for and sees the trap before it happens, giving him time to tackle and save Charlie once again. That flash represents the timeline skewing off in a different direction, another (alternate?) tangent - all at the complete mercy of Desmond.

Ridiculous. This actually exists. I don't think we can really question Lost's attention to detail.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually saw this too and mentioned it to my roomate. He swore it was just the sunlight's reflection though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Assuming this is what you're talking about, I think it's just lens flare...

[/ QUOTE ]yeah thats it. Although brief it was VERY NOTICABLE to me. Many havn't noticed I guess though, so maybe I'm just overreacting. I just can't imagine that they'd make a mistake that big and that it'd happen just as we got to the point in the story that Des had been having the premonitions about.

[/ QUOTE ]

how does that qualify as a big mistake. there shooting in the rain in the jungle...its like one second of film. Its just a lens flare etc.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:56 PM

I noticed it. I rewound and watched it again. It looked much more like a filming issue than an intentional effect.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:18 PM

I would wager a fair amount of money it was intentional.

It happens EXACTLY when he says the word flash. This is the exact point when Desmond recognizes the conversation. There is little possibility this is a production error coincidence.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would wager a fair amount of money it was intentional.

It happens EXACTLY when he says the word flash. This is the exact point when Desmond recognizes the conversation. There is little possibility this is a production error coincidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

u guys have way to much faith in the LOST writers and producers