Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-10-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: Travelling overseas alone

quids-
3 things:
1. I saw that you were starting in northern Italy and working your way south. I've heard that is a great way to see Italy. If you love northern Italy, it is only going to get better the further south you go.Likewise, if you hate northern Italy, it is only going to get worse as you travel south.
I'd love to hear your impressions when you return in a trip report.

Secondly, the language "barrier". It sounds like you know a little Italian. That will take you a long way, especially if you learn some basic phrases, be polite, and most importantly, show that you are making some effort to speak the language. It's been my experience that most people, especially out of the big cities and in more off the beaten track areas, will help you if you are polite and show some effort in learning their language. Definitely pick up a Italian-English dictionary before the trip and learn a few phrases and words.

I went to France 13 years ago for 2 weeks by myself. I don't speak a word of French and had very few problems, except misreading a bus schedule and missing the last bus back to the train station and to hitchhike to the station and also forgetting to set my watch for the time difference between England and France/the continent. I was an hour behind the rest of Europe for 2 freakin' days! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I noticed also that you start "understanding" different words even though you've never heard/seen them before because you are being exposed to the language constantly through reading them on signs and hearing them spoken. It's almost like your brain makes the adjustment and starts "thinking" in that language at a basic level. It was most noticeable when coming back to the States.

The main thing is to not let language be a "barrier". It is easily overcome. It can feel scary the first couple of days, but that will pass.

Thirdly, definitely make use of tourist information offices/booths. They can give you info. on hostels or hotels, maps of the city, and places to see and eat at. They are a wealth of information and help.

I'm still jealous. Enjoy. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]