Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: (Way OT) What are you graduating seniors doing?

I'm starting at Google in August. The idea of working with hundreds of the smartest people on the planet to solve some insanely difficult problems appeals many times more than playing in the same poker games all day.

As much as I love poker, I need to see faces everyday, need to see a wide variety of intellectual puzzles, and love having a solid fixed salary with benefits out the ass. It'll be a much better lifestyle for me, even if I'm technically working for somebody else.

If I weren't so sure of what I wanted to do, or didn't have any good job offers, I think taking a year or two at poker to make some money and live it up would be a good call. It would suck to spend my entire 20s grinding 9-5 in some job that made me want to vomit. I'd at least put some scratch together with a year or two of poker so that I could live decently and get my investments jump-started. I'm too young to be poor.

Everett
Old 04-04-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I graduated last year. Taking a year off (now it is turning into two) to travel the world and see various countries while playing poker. I really recommend it. I have learned more bout the world through traveling after graduation then during my whole University life.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my plan. Hopefully for the next 5 or 6 years I'll travel. By then I'll have 1 million saved up and life off interest and business ventures and maybe some poker on the side.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 AM

If you guys can't hack a 9-5 (very understandable, I have trouble myself) - then just play poker if you're successful, travel the world, do whatever. As long as you have contacts and are somewhat of a decent interviewer (not that hard to get good at this), you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a good job in the future. They will be there (much more likely than online poker still being there some years down the road).

Better yet, the best idea is to play poker, and if done traveling the world, then start up businesses on the side or find interesting investments. Read up on stuff that interests you. Find something you love. If you truly love poker, then do that. If you think you'll get bored in 3 years or burnt out, start educating yourself in various fields and consider starting up businesses, websites, etc. Create assets for yourself and fall back on poker. Making money with poker gives you a ridiculous situation where you have great freedom to do whatever you want. Don't waste the opportunitiy, especially if you don't think you want to do it forever.

If getting a job will teach you a lot, make you good contacts, and lead to future great success (more than 200k / year - think of starting up something) - then take the job and play poker on the side until you feel you've learned enough of how that industry works. By then you'll probably have some good acquaintances in the industry and you can quit and plan on being the boss [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] (and with poker as a crutch, you have more risk tolerance than your peers)...

Hope that advice helps someone -

Gomberg
Old 04-04-2007, 12:29 PM

some interesting replies for sure.

im coming round to the belief that it doesnt matter that much which you choose. you can either go very far in business if you devote a lot of time to your work and ultimately this will bring both satisfaction, big money and hopefully enjoyment. Obviously the 9-5 (or 9-7 in some cases) will be far more boring, but it may give you the stability and lack of self-doubt which makes up for the higher degree of boredom.

Equally if you go down the poker route, you can make a lot of money, have a very enjoyable time. The benefit of constant short term enjoyment has to be weighed up against the fear of future success, however, this can be replaced by setting up successful websites and businesses (however, i believe this to be far harder than is made out, a lot of people say how they will set up a business or two, but it is not easy to make big bucks, also you know you are sacraficing $200/hr or so at the tables by not playing).

to put my thought comments:

[ QUOTE ]
Being able to travel the world playing poker in your 20s is worth alot more money than alot of you realize. You realize how many people out there get stuck in the 9-5 grind for life and never get to really enjoy anything? If you have spent your 20s traveling around enjoying your freedom, you're far ahead of the curve... even financially.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to think it's more down to the person himself whether they enjoy the above quote or the rat race business ladder. I'd like to think I, as well as a large number of guys our age who have done well at poker, could enjoy both. Winning a lot (even though i've only got 100k which compared to some of you isnt a great deal) has allowed us the huge luxury of not worrying about money for food, rent etc. This is something everyone else has to - how will i pay off student loans etc etc. So I think in general we have an enjoyable outlook on life, and could both enjoy travelling whilst playing cards but also suceed in the business world.

There are some people I know who are pretty dead-beat people who can't get interested or excited about much, and those people will never find enjoyment in either travelling/entreneurship or business world.

I guess you've just got to have the best time you can whatever you do, whilst simultaneously building for a better, more financially secure future.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
management consulting in Chi town

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a serious question, but what company would hire a new graduate to do management consulting with no experience in management? Maybe more importantly, what company would hire the consulting company? Obviously I'm missing something, please fill me in.

Again, this isn't a dig, or personal, but a legitimate question.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are some people I know who are pretty dead-beat people who can't get interested or excited about much, and those people will never find enjoyment in either travelling/entreneurship or business world.

I guess you've just got to have the best time you can whatever you do, whilst simultaneously building for a better, more financially secure future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, good luck with whatever you decide - I'm sure you'll do well.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
management consulting in Chi town

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a serious question, but what company would hire a new graduate to do management consulting with no experience in management? Maybe more importantly, what company would hire the consulting company? Obviously I'm missing something, please fill me in.

Again, this isn't a dig, or personal, but a legitimate question.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh... alot. my dad is a management consultant, and he just finishing hiring a ton of Berkeley grads.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lawl school

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

nice fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

Bobbo, the title of the thread is GRADUATING SENIORS.