Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 02-10-2007, 03:53 PM

Default 30 Inch Cinema Display on Boot Camp Issues

I'm getting occasional issues with my setup, wondering if any of you can lend a hand:

MacBook Pro Laptop (256 MB ATI Card)
30 Inch Apple Cinema Display
Boot Camp W/ Windows XP

Lappy is closed under the desk at all ties with LCD off, using 30 inch as only display with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Problem Im getting is every other day or so the monitor gets glow spots on it... I don't know how to describe it, but it looks like it goes from 32 bit color to 0.5 bit color, cant display images correctly, type is impossible to read as it gets distorted, videos when played look inverted, etc. Looks kind of like a scrambled movie channel from back in the day. Anyway, flicking the res down to 1600 by 1200 (or whatever) frm 2560 by 1600 fixes he problem, but still won't allow me to view videos correctly. Can anyone guess at whats going on here? Apple wont support because its Boot Camp.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: 30 Inch Cinema Display on Boot Camp Issues

does this ONLY happen in XP? are there any updated drivers for the vid card?

There is a website that releases the laptop version of newer display drivers for ATI & Nvidia (instead of waiting for them to repackage a mobile version once a year) but i don't remember what the website is.

Can you take a photo (or possibly a screenshot) of the display when it is all wonky at WQXGA and when it looks 'normalish' at UXGA?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:22 PM

Bizarre. If I try to take a picture of the video with hypersnap, it just shows blank in the video playback region, unless I put the new image file over top of the video, then it shows through in the image. Like I can move the image file over the video, and its just like theres nothing in the image, its like a window that only the f'd up video file can see through. Weeeeeiiiirrrrdddd.

I can't "make" the monitor go all weird so I can't snap a shot of that, but I suspect it would look normal as well if I could actually ge ta pic of it posted. I dunno if any of this makes any sense.
Old 02-10-2007, 05:59 PM

Can you take a picture with your phone or something? Also, you should try and get it to happen under OS X to narrow down what is going on.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 PM

Nah its a New Zealand phone and I lsot all the wires to connect it to my PC. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Interesting development though, I unchecked "use video mixing rendereer" under acceleration in Windows Media Player and now the video looks fine. Still doesn't fx te problem of occasionally having these glowing green viens in any picture that isnt a solid color.