Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 01-30-2007, 09:05 AM

Default Re: What will make you happy?

Working hard for something I really enjoy or deem important and overcoming challenges seem to do the trick for me but my contentedness is never long-lasting. I have a really nice girlfriend but she is causing me as much joy as pain, mostly
because she is not "perfect".
Maybe happiness is a product of evolution and doing things that help you passing on your genes make you happy.
Which is basically having children and securing their future.
The process of acquiring power and wealth for example should make you happy.
Being lazy or being surrounded by people you perceive as superior will most likely make you unhappy.
We always compare ourselves to others which is likely to be depressing in the information age. Most people dont look like a movie star, are as successful as Steve Jobs or as smart as Stephen Hawking.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:13 AM

I'm starting to wonder if brain chemistry and poker are a bad combination.

For everyone else here, when's the time period you think you were most content?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:22 AM

I was going to start pretty much exactly the same thread...

Spooky !
Old 01-30-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? That's more likely to make me unhappy.

What makes me happy are the things I do with the wealth I've acquired, not the wealth itself.

And I have zero interest in acquiring power. I don't want to make decisions for other people. I want to make decisions for myself.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes me happy are the things I do with the wealth I've acquired, not the wealth itself.

And I have zero interest in acquiring power. I don't want to make decisions for other people. I want to make decisions for myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to disagree. While I enjoy a good dinner or a better car, I dont get a feeling of enduring satisfaction from them. Being wealthy on the other hand gives me a feeling of security that wont go away once Ive gotten used to it.

Being able to make decisions for yourself shows quite a lot of power I think.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to disagree. While I enjoy a good dinner or a better car, I dont get a feeling of enduring satisfaction from them. Being wealthy on the other hand gives me a feeling of security that wont go away once Ive gotten used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being secure = boring

I think depression is so common in western world because people live too boring and too secure lifes.

Third world people who have to struggle to survive are happy if they'll find enough food to survive for another day.

I'd me much happier as a hunter-gatherer living like they lived 10000 years ago than I'd be as Bill Gates and I'm pretty sure that applies to (almost) every person alive.

[ QUOTE ]

Being able to make decisions for yourself shows quite a lot of power I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that if you don't have power over other people, you don't have much power.

NP: Kreator - World Anarchy
Old 02-08-2007, 10:06 AM

"Being secure = boring

I think depression is so common in western world because people live too boring and too secure lifes.

Third world people who have to struggle to survive are happy if they'll find enough food to survive for another day.

I'd me much happier as a hunter-gatherer living like they lived 10000 years ago than I'd be as Bill Gates and I'm pretty sure that applies to (almost) every person alive."

i think you have a very very idealized view of what a poor persons life, or a hunter gather's life is/was like.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 PM

I know from experience that I'm happiest and at peace with most everything when I have a good girlfriend.

Sometimes I think I'd be much happier without the internet. It complicates my life more than it helps it.

I have a lot of material stuff and it definitely does not make me happy, but is very entertaining.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Being secure = boring

I'd me much happier as a hunter-gatherer living like they lived 10000 years ago than I'd be as Bill Gates and I'm pretty sure that applies to (almost) every person alive."

i think you have a very very idealized view of what a poor persons life, or a hunter gather's life is/was like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruiser - I think you are full of crap. I very much enjoy (and am envious) of what you are doing with your money, as opposed to others with the same means around our ages. But give me a break! You really think you would be happier being dead broke and living in a 3rd world country? I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but you can take that quote above and stick it up your ass.

Dids - I liked your response...it sounded genuine. congrats and good luck.

I'm in the "happiness is all about perception" camp.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Being secure = boring

[/ QUOTE ]

Bruiser - I think you are full of crap. I very much enjoy (and am envious) of what you are doing with your money, as opposed to others with the same means around our ages. But give me a break! You really think you would be happier being dead broke and living in a 3rd world country? I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but you can take that quote above and stick it up your ass.

Dids - I liked your response...it sounded genuine. congrats and good luck.

I'm in the "happiness is all about perception" camp.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you misunderstand bruiser's post.