Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 12-02-2006, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Official Final Fantasy XII thread (likely spoilers inside)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thanks, good to know as im 35 hours in and have stolen maybe 3 times

[/ QUOTE ]

Put a Thief Cuff on someone and set a gambit for stealing. Set the guy up to steal from Foes HP=100%. That works pretty well, although he'll keep stealing from the same creature over and over if no one attacks the creature, so setting gambits to attack Foes HP=100% on other players before their usual attack helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I always have Vaan steal with the 100% gambit. If I'm fighting 3 or more critters, I'll just cast one of the black AOE magicks to knock off a little damage off all of them so Vaan doesn't keep trying to steal from the same guy over and over. Pisses me off that there isn't a gambit for Already Stole From or something like that.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thanks, good to know as im 35 hours in and have stolen maybe 3 times

[/ QUOTE ]

Put a Thief Cuff on someone and set a gambit for stealing. Set the guy up to steal from Foes HP=100%. That works pretty well, although he'll keep stealing from the same creature over and over if no one attacks the creature, so setting gambits to attack Foes HP=100% on other players before their usual attack helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I always have Vaan steal with the 100% gambit. If I'm fighting 3 or more critters, I'll just cast one of the black AOE magicks to knock off a little damage off all of them so Vaan doesn't keep trying to steal from the same guy over and over. Pisses me off that there isn't a gambit for Already Stole From or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just set my settings to memory, it's rare i press anything other than steal so i dont mind much

everybody has the following setup for non boss battles:

Ally: status = KO - Arise
Ally: hp < 40% - Curaga
Ally: any - Haste
Self: MP < 10% - Charge
<-- something related to status ailments here, see below
Foe: party leader's target - attack
Foe: nearest visible - attack
Ally: any - Regen
Ally: any - Bubble
Ally: any - Protect
Ally: any - Shell
Self - Libra

i change it around depending on what i'm fighting, it can be:
Ally: status = oil - Handkerchief
Ally: status = confused - Smelling Salts
Ally: status = sap - Regen
Ally: status = blind - Blindna
Ally: status = silence - Vox
Ally: status = stop - Chronos Tear
Ally: any - Esuna (only if I'm fighting lots of Marlboros)

Is there any way to get rid of doom besides license upgraded remedys? Same deal for Oil and Handkerchief/Remedy
Old 12-04-2006, 11:32 PM

WTF. Why won't it stop raining on the Giza plains?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:44 AM

anyone know where i can find a really good review of this game? gamefaqs has a ton but i hate blind fanboys. i've played all the FFs from 1-10, but sort of lost interest in playing rpgs. i'm back in the mood and this looks/sounds pretty dope.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone know where i can find a really good review of this game? gamefaqs has a ton but i hate blind fanboys. i've played all the FFs from 1-10, but sort of lost interest in playing rpgs. i'm back in the mood and this looks/sounds pretty dope.

[/ QUOTE ]

While they are well known for being a little biased, IGN usually has the most in depth reviews that Ive seen from any reviewing outfit, the FF12 review is here:http://ps2.ign.com/articles/741/741991p1.html.

Im probably in the same place you are, massive FF fan but I havent played anything remotely turnbased since FFX, I got 12 tonight, about two hours in, the whole game feels so dated so far but Im trying to stick it out for nostalgic purposes and many peoples voices that its a great story and good gaming experience etc. That IGN review got me pretty stoked on it, we'll see.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm at about 80 hours and played most every US released FF from I to X. Here's a quick list of good and bad off the top of my head:

Good:
- Fighting system is great (real time + gambits) and makes the game seem less broken up by stopping for battles all the time.
- The hunts are a lot of fun and can actually be quite difficult. Overall, I've had many more difficult battles in this edition than I can recall in awhile.
- One of the biggest, if not the biggest worlds to date.
- I personally prefer the "medieval with a touch of futuristic" over the "futuristic with a touch of medieval" FF's.

Bad:
- Quickenings go from overpowered to pretty much useless throughout the game
- The Espers suck. Completely worthless and horrible execution (replacing your party with the Esper).
- Story is good, but after all these FF's, the stories seem to be a bit of a rehash at times.
- Only 6 characters.
- One thing I really don't like from the more recent FF's is that they don't force characters into roles (fighter, mage, etc). Basically by the end of the game, which characters are in your party doesn't really matter because they can all do the same stuff. Just stick with the 3 that are the highest level. Abilities, weapons, and armor really need to be limited to which characters can use them. FFIII ruled because there were a ton of characters and they were all different!

Hmm, I figured I could have come up with a lot more good than that because I really do like this game. However, if not for the new fighting system, this game would have been a lot more "been there, done that".
Old 12-05-2006, 09:09 PM

thanks for the post, DK

yeah, i really liked Vs job system but III (6?) was [censored] awesome. i think that was my favorite.

im prob gonna get this when i have a lot more time in january
Old 12-05-2006, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the post, DK

yeah, i really liked Vs job system but III (6?) was [censored] awesome. i think that was my favorite.

im prob gonna get this when i have a lot more time in january

[/ QUOTE ]

These characters were so awesome...
Locke - The main character and an expert thief
Sabin - Master of the claws, fighting with him was like playing Street fighter...so cool
Shadow - He's a [censored] ninja...nuf said
Mog - You actually get to play as a moogle, had cool special attacks
Gau - His attack was based on one of the 100+ enemies whose fighting style he copied...one of the most fun concepts for a character ever, searching out rare enemies had a really cool purpose
Relm - She painted copies of enemies that would fight with you.
Umaro - An abomidable snowman, he could actaully throw characters around like weapons
Setzer - Every gambler's dream character, the dude used dice & cards as a weapon, and had a slot machine attack for a special ability
Gogo - Mimics attacks of his party

And there's 6 other characters that all do different stuff. Best cast of characters in any FF ever. If anyone hasn't played this, give it a shot. One of my all time favorite games.