Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 11-22-2006, 11:24 AM

Default Re: [Trip Report] A SSNL\'er Plays the WPT (Long)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is there an extra digit in here or did you drive from Australia?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Missed a decimal. 2042.3km (1269.0 miles). Yeesh, what a bunch of nits! Next someone's gonna bust my balls for mispelling lose in the cliff notes...

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-22-2006, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Is there an extra digit in here or did you drive from Australia?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Missed a decimal. 2042.3km (1269.0 miles). Yeesh, what a bunch of nits! Next someone's gonna bust my balls for mispelling lose in the cliff notes...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol gold
Old 11-22-2006, 11:55 AM

Old 11-22-2006, 12:18 PM

This is a nice read. I too will testify that even if you have never heard of "pot odds" in your life and if you don't know what a flush is, that you're still probably +EV at a live 1/2NL game. At least on Long Island. And apparently at Atlantic City or Connecticiut too.

You should probably go into more detail on some of your hands so that we can analyze them a little for you. Like, you said that you bet out on a flop with KK and Doyle folded. Well - did you learn anything from that hand? Could you have gotten more value if you checked the flop? Why did you bet? Was it "just because" you had kings? Stuff like that will help you out. It will also help me find meaning in my mornings at work.

Thanks for the awesome post.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a nice read. I too will testify that even if you have never heard of "pot odds" in your life and if you don't know what a flush is, that you're still probably +EV at a live 1/2NL game. At least on Long Island. And apparently at Atlantic City or Connecticiut too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've played live before. It's no shock that it's bad. However, Foxwoods is SPECTACULARLY bad. Takes badness to a whole new level. 1000 player freeroll bad.

[ QUOTE ]

You should probably go into more detail on some of your hands so that we can analyze them a little for you. Like, you said that you bet out on a flop with KK and Doyle folded. Well - did you learn anything from that hand? Could you have gotten more value if you checked the flop? Why did you bet? Was it "just because" you had kings? Stuff like that will help you out. It will also help me find meaning in my mornings at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember the texture of the flop versus Doyle. It was likely drawy. It's true that one of the most difficult transitions I find going from ring to tourney is slowing down and trapping particularly when the blinds are low. Slowplaying is so rarely a good idea at SSNL.

I know I screwed up a couple hands at the tourney...

Third hand of the tourney, I'm in the SB with K9s. Victor Ramden is UTG and raises. He gets a couple callers and I call. Flop is K9x.

It's only the third hand of the tourney so I don't yet know that Victor's playing LAG or that the table is super-loose pre-flop. So I bet, expecting Victor to have a hand and if not one of the callers should. Mistake. Everybody folds. I obviously should have let Victor c-bet or one of the other callers take a stab. Oh well.

A couple orbits later, I'm in the SB with 22. Several limpers to me and I complete. Flop is A2x with a flush draw available. I bet. UTG calls. Turn is a card. I bet. UTG calls. River is a card. And here I make my second mistake. UTG would turn out to be a huge, huge calling station but I did not know that yet. I decide to check to induce a bluff from a FD or value bet from an ace. UTG checks it through and shows A-rag with the flush draw. I obviously needed to bet river there.

I think I played my second flopped set a little better but it's debateable. I'm in the BB with JJ. It's folded to Ben Armstrong who raises MP. Ben was playing very solid TAG. Folded to me and I call. Flop is J-high with 2 diamonds. It's possible Ben has the NFD but whiffed overcards are more likely or some middle pair. I decide I don't want to loose him like Victor and check. He bets pot and I just call. Turn is an A. Which I like a lot. I check. Ben bets. I think about checkraising here, at SSNL it's stackadonk time, however this is a couple hours into the tournament and it's obvious Ben knows what he's doing. So I just call. River is the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. A horrible card since it almost certainly kills my action. I think about it and decide Ben's way too likely to check it through unless he's hit the flush or has AK. So I bet pot. Ben calls and shows QQ.

I scoop a decent size pot, but maybe could have done a better job building it by finding a bet earlier. Though I think I'm just as likely to fold him out.

No, I don't like re-raising preflop here. This was, I think level 2 with blinds $50/$100 (might have been level 3 $100/$200) and stacks ~$20K. He's calling my reraise with anything good enough to raise with and playing JJ out of position with deep stacks against a good player just sucks.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:33 PM

good read, better luck next time my friend
Old 11-22-2006, 01:51 PM

I'm curious, what do you think about the ban online poker. How much of the decrease do you think is part of that?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious, what do you think about the ban online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously I think it's stupid and just hope our government (Canadian) don't follow America's lead like they often do.

[ QUOTE ]

How much of the decrease do you think is part of that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it played a part, there were VERY few players wearing gear from online rooms aside from big name pros like Daniel N and Kathy Liebert. However, I'm not sure how many online sites would have been running satts anyway. The tournament was about a month after the ban so you'd think that any sites interested in sending players would have been running satts prior to the ban.

I dunno, I don't usually play online satts. Is the WPT really a priority for online sites? Was it more of a priority last year? Have sites shifted their focus to things like the WSOP, EPT, WCOOP, etc? Does Foxwood's registration process alienate sites? I'm not really in a position to answer any of these questions.

The WSOP will be the real litmus test since traditionally every site has run hard at it.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl im pretty sure im really good friends with the guy on the lefts daughter.