Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Button (AQ)
Coldcalling AQo is a fish move. Minraising the 1/6 pot bet was retarded. If you weren't a luckbox, you'd be broke. 14 53.85%
Calling prelop was dumb, but your expert postflop play allowed you to get away from top two in a huge pot quite cheaply. 2 7.69%
Preflop is standard, but you're an idiot postflop. 10 38.46%
What a masterful example of using position to make great plays. 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-12-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Re: If you were to teach your child.....

My kids (15/13) already know english, german and french besides their mother language. They were tought at school.
Maybe one day if you stop using all that money on weapons and improve your educational system....
Old 11-12-2006, 07:58 PM

Has any white american actually had sucsess learning chinese? I live near UCI which has a lot of wanna-be asian white dudes and I have never meet anyone who can say more than a couple sentences in chinese...I just dont see it happening.

And then on top of that wtf do you do once you learn chinese? All business positions where chinese is nessecary would be instantly filled by someone who is a native speaker.

Basically anyone who responsed 'chinese' is batshit retarded. In fact this poll is [censored] retarded because the answer for any american IS spanish for obvious reasons and there is literally no other option.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:05 PM

I picked Chinese because I heard it was one of the hardest languages for average Americans to learn. I'm just assuming that if he/she learned Chinese at an early age, Spanish or any other language would be a cakewalk to learn in high school or college.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I picked Chinese because I heard it was one of the hardest languages for average Americans to learn. I'm just assuming that if he/she learned Chinese at an early age, Spanish or any other language would be a cakewalk to learn in high school or college.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, all languages have roots, some share the same roots (latin, germanic, arabic, greek, etc..) Learning a language belonging to one group may facilitate learning another language from the same group.
Knowing a language from a different group is no help, other than being aware of the difficulty of learning a different language and other rubbish technicalities .
Old 11-12-2006, 08:11 PM

any of the romance languages, because you can basically learn a couple at the same time.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:15 PM

Also, just a heads up for all college students

Hot chicks take language classes(esp. italian), you should too.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason Chinese is considered a difficult language is the characters. Memorizing each character (a skill which is useless for Spanish, French, and most other langauges) is a bitch and a half. However, once you get past that, Chinese isn't that hard. Grammar and sentence structure is much easier and you don't have to conjugate verbs.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:43 PM

French - Canada.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:47 PM

Cool topic. Okay, so I'm Chinese so I'm fluent in both. What would be an awesome third language for me to learn? Spanish?
Old 11-12-2006, 11:45 PM

As others have said, I think most people in this thread are underestimating the difficulty it would be for the average American (who is not Chinese) to learn Mandarin or any other Chinese dialect. Or even any other language that you don't have any other reason to constantly use.

I'm making a few assumptions here, but I think for your language skills to be really useful in the business world (if that is your measure) you really need to be fluent. If you are just pretty good at understanding most of what you hear and you can speak just well enough to be understood, your knowledge of the language may have use in casual situations (travel, etc.), but in a serious business setting, it is just not good enough.

On another note, I can count on one hand the number of people that I know that learned a foriegn language fluently (that they had no reason to speak on a regular basis other than for class) through a class and/or limited studying abroad. When I say fluent, I mean really fluent. This means that you can basically understand and speak it as well as your first language.

I know many people who have taken Mandarin for years in high school/college that still have difficulty translating a movie or television show (even though they would understand the jist of it). I can say the same about people I know that have studied French in school for many years. I find this to be less true for Spanish, because there are many opportunities to use Spanish regularly in the US.

This is why I think that trying to learn Mandarin would not be a great idea if your goal is to convince others that your knowledge of Mandarin would be an asset to a business. First of all, it would be really hard to learn if you don't have any reason to actually use it (family, live in China, etc.). This is especially true with a language that has a different script (because you'd really be hard pressed to keep your reading skills sharp). Secondly, even if you were able to attain some level of proficiency, it is quite unlikely that you would become fluent, and fluency is what you really need to use a language in business (if that is your goal; obviously developing a proficiency in Mandarin would be personally enriching and valuable in other ways).