Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 07-19-2006, 03:23 PM

Default the whole middle east thing...

...has to be understood in this context.

the terrorists/radical islamic jihadist/islamofascists ,whatever you want to call them, have a stated and defined goal. they want to destroy israel and the west.

they want to kill you, and there is nothing you can say or do to change their mind. if you can understand that you can START to figure out what needs to be done about this issue.

as far as i can see we only have two choices in how to procede from here. one choice is terrible, the other is worse.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:28 PM

Default Re: the whole middle east thing...

[ QUOTE ]

the terrorists/radical islamic jihadist/islamofascists ,whatever you want to call them, have a stated and defined goal. they want to destroy israel and the west.

they want to kill you, and there is nothing you can say or do to change their mind. if you can understand that you can START to figure out what needs to be done about this issue.

as far as i can see we only have two choices in how to procede from here. one choice is terrible, the other is worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

man, have u ever met someone from Iran? Iranians are about the most hospitable people I've ever met. I don't buy into this theory that they all want to destroy us. Its just not true. These hezbolla guys are the extreme group. Most muslims are nothing like that. I just asked some of my Arab friends at lunch about all this today and all of them said that they don't hate Jews at all.

This fighting has gone on all of my life and all of my parent's lives and it will not likely end in our lifetimes. Both sides of the conflict want something that is unattainable.

Indy
Old 07-19-2006, 03:32 PM

LOL
Old 07-19-2006, 03:33 PM

can you read?

i never said that this was a problem with the iranian people. i actually specifically went out of my way to avoid including the common citizens of that nation in my point.

my point is that its the EXTREME groups that we have to deal with. unfortunately they have power in iran and syria and north korea. the problem is that they are not rational actors. they would not care if they died so long as we did as well.

please don't put words into my mouth. i NEVER intended to besmearch the people of the middle east. the problem lies with the extremists.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean so many people are posting things like this. Hezbolla and Hamas are extreme people but don't represent the majority of the Islamic world. Why are we so concerned that we have to do someting dramatic? Israel will [censored] these terrorists up really bad and scare the [censored] outta the region. Just let them do what they have to and we go back to business as usual. America and the west need not interfere.

Indy
Old 07-19-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

man, have u ever met someone from Iran? Iranians are about the most hospitable people I've ever met. I don't buy into this theory that they all want to destroy us. Its just not true. These hezbolla guys are the extreme group. Most muslims are nothing like that. I just asked some of my Arab friends at lunch about all this today and all of them said that they don't hate Jews at all.

This fighting has gone on all of my life and all of my parent's lives and it will not likely end in our lifetimes. Both sides of the conflict want something that is unattainable.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

He didnt say all Arabs, or all Iranians, he said "terrorists/radical islamic jihadist/islamofascists ".

IMO its long past the time when mainstream Muslims should have spoken out and taken action against the radicals. They cannot expect to not be cast in the same light as the radicals when they are silent. It also doesnt help that even more "mainstream" Muslims adhere to archaic and misogynist practices such as honor killings and honor suicides.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they are not rational actors.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love this argument. make your enemies seem crazy. easier to hate them then and justify your beliefs.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

He didnt say all Arabs, or all Iranians, he said "terrorists/radical islamic jihadist/islamofascists ".

IMO its long past the time when mainstream Muslims should have spoken out and taken action against the radicals. They cannot expect to not be cast in the same light as the radicals when they are silent. It also doesnt help that even more "mainstream" Muslims adhere to archaic and misogynist practices such as honor killings and honor suicides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah but mainstream muslims don't have the same freedom of speech that we do. They just don't have the ability to come out and start criticising.

Indy
Old 07-19-2006, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can you read?

i never said that this was a problem with the iranian people. i actually specifically went out of my way to avoid including the common citizens of that nation in my point.

my point is that its the EXTREME groups that we have to deal with. unfortunately they have power in iran and syria and north korea. the problem is that they are not rational actors. they would not care if they died so long as we did as well.

please don't put words into my mouth. i NEVER intended to besmearch the people of the middle east. the problem lies with the extremists.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I can read but ur post wreeks of anti-arabic sentiment and calls for the west to get involved in order to deter a small and weak extreme group in the middle east. My post is an attempt to derail your point and change the subject a little to say that muslims are our brothers too and we should be very cautious when making posts that call us to arms against them.

Indy
Old 07-19-2006, 03:41 PM

The reason why they want to destroy the west has to be understood in context. Think about WHY they want to kill us.