Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 07-12-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: The Sushi Craze

[ QUOTE ]
this post is in responce to the many sushi posts and most resently gildwulf's post about an expensive sushi meal with his parents.

kudos, gildwulf on your big win and treating the parents to a nice dinner.

i dont understand why raw fish, rice, and vancy vegitagbles that i cant spell cost ~$100 each per plate.

the thought of eating raw flesh is disconcerting. the closest i come to sushi is tuna from a can. im trying to improve my diet due to acid reflux. raw meat, damn.

is sushi another one of those diets that fade away in a year like all the other fad diets?

[/ QUOTE ]

i bet you think chanel sunglasses are dumb huh?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:50 PM

Sha,

Do you like fish?
Old 07-12-2006, 01:52 PM

Sha,

I'm a strong believer that everybody in a group has a veto. If you're really not down, they shouldn't force you.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A platter of sushi is one of the few things you can agree to split with a woman with little or no hassle on food preferences/portions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I have anything against sushi, but I don't get your point. Why would I want to split a platter of something? Why wouldn't I just want my own food?

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously, sharing food is a KNOWN way to contract cooties.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with sharing a platter of something. My point was just that he implied there was something great about it. Why would anyone go out of their to find food they could share? That's weird to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Asian cultures you get a lot of side dishes and plates to share. It's basically all sharing for meals with many people. Koreans share soups that they get with their meals, too(this part always grosses white people out).

I love sharing, as I like to get a lot of variety and not eat just one thing. Go to a Thai place, get noodles, rice, curry, meat, chicken, etc. You just don't get a huge amount of it.

I've definitely noticed at work that when we go eat Asian food, the white people always get their own dishes and the Asians end up sharing. I've always found it to be a bit uptight.

DN
Old 07-12-2006, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you live in the midwest? Sushi has been popular on both coasts forever; it's not a fad.

Also, with a few exceptions (I'm looking at you, sea urchin), raw fish is delicious and not offensive at all even to sensitive palates. You'd be surprised.

But, most people just hear "raw fish" and think, "that can't be good," and will never try it for themselves. Too bad. More for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you. Sushi is the nuts, and has been for a while, but sea urchin is possibly the worst "food" I have ever had. I've been on the east coast and I know the further inland you go the lower the quality the sushi gets, with some exceptions of course.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sushi is the staple diet of Japan and has been for thousands of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Sushi as we know it has only existed a little while. Without refrigeration, raw fish isn't practical as a major diet staple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_sushi

That said, congrats on the nice hit and nice dinner!

[/ QUOTE ]

Concur, based on small sample size. I've only been to Okinawa and Kyushu, and there wasn't an emphasis on sushi on the whole trip. Now noodles, on the other hand, everyone was eating noodles all over the place.

At home, we only really make futomaki and inari sushi with any regularity, and that's only at New Year's to give to friends and family. YMMV.

Shajen - I've found that the correct move in this instance is to order something tempura.

If you don't like seafood, yeah, its probably not for you. Good "sushi" is like good food of any variety---simple, well-proportioned well-prepared high quality ingredients. I cannot understand not liking any food that fits that description, but I guess some people like to voluntarily limit their gustatory pleasures.

[ QUOTE ]
Dids,

the problem, in scene form:

Me: (talking to a group of people) where do you guys want to eat?

them: Let's get sushi!

Me: meh. ok, we can do that, but I've never had any that I like.

Them: Oh, that's just because you don't know what to order. I order this special seaweed sawdust, frog's eggs, and raw veal wrapped in sea-bass dung. It's fantastic.

me: Had it. Didn't like it.

Them: Aw, come on, give it another shot.

Me: *sigh* ok.

them: (20 minutes into the meal) So, what do you think?

Me: (smiling gamely) it's...great! This is fantastic. *gulp*

them: see, knew you'd like it.

me: I'll never eat this [censored] again.

(repeat last line like once every 6-12 months)

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Passing judgment on someone on their eating habits is ludicrous. I'm including vegetarian/vegan and religion. People have a choice on what they eat (if you're not in Africa or dirt poor), and who are you to tell them what to eat.

group of people going out? everyone should agree that a place to eat is fine.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sushi is the staple diet of Japan and has been for thousands of years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. Sushi as we know it has only existed a little while. Without refrigeration, raw fish isn't practical as a major diet staple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_sushi

That said, congrats on the nice hit and nice dinner!

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting little bit of trivia I heard on The Food network last week, sushi is credited with being invented by a gambler, much like The Earl of Sandwich, so he could have one hand free to shoot dice.