Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 06-07-2006, 06:52 PM

Default Trips vs. tighty

UTG is really tight, like 10/5. What's the plan here? (comments on flop too if you disagree)

No Limit Hold'em Ring Game (6 max) , 5 players
Blinds : $0.50/$1

Stacks:
UTG : $30.84
CO : $129.23
Button : $31.94
SB : $170.11
Hero : $100

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG limps, 2 folds, SB limps, Hero checks.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3, 3 players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $3</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($9, 2 players)
Hero ???
Old 06-07-2006, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Trips vs. tighty

Preflop: fine

Flop: I'm pretty sure betting this flop you avoid alot of problems, mostly because now he's maybe floatin' with a low pp - I'd bet this most of the time (read dependant) to see where I'm at.

Turn: Considering you took the c/c route, I bet out here, with you're action on the flop you might get a call from KQ here thinking you're on a busted heart draw.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:08 PM

I think it's very unlikely he has an A: AK and AQ both raise pre-flop, and this guy probably mucks AJ or lower.

Given his UTG limp, I put him on either trying to limp-rr KK, or set mining a pair.

That said, I think you let him do the betting, as you almost certainly fold most of his holdings when you bet.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:18 PM

I'd check the turn, and bet the river if he checks through. Otherwise I'd just call down. Would hate putting a raise in on the turn w/ the 2nd best hand.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:30 PM

The problem here is that if this particular villain has an A then you are in trouble, because you know he's got a better kicker than you.

I don't mind the flop line, since I assume you are trying to get someone to commit some chips to the pot before you start betting.

I think I would lead out on the turn here. I prefer a lead here since if you bet here and get raised as tight as UTG is he's going to at least have an A and you will be out kicked. You can then get out of the pot fairly cheaply. If UTG has a medium PP then he might still call thinking that you don't have an A either and might think you are semi-bluffing with a flush draw (this kind of depends on your table image).

The cons to leading out are that if UTG has something like 66-TT, then he probably folds to your lead. If villain decides to get tricky or gets scared with something like AJ (thinking you might have a better hand), then he could just call behind and you still have a decision to make on the river.

If you check villain might fire another shot at this and you can again call behind, but you still won't know if you are ahead or behind in this hand and that could make for a fairly expensive river mistake at that point.

This villain is just so tight that I can't see any way that you are going to extract much from him unless you get into a situation where you have set over set or a bigger boat vs. his smaller boat, etc. I would rather lead out on the turn and try and get a better idea of where I am in this hand against this tighty.