Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 03-31-2006, 08:33 PM

Default Re: *** Official St Louis Cardinals to the 2006 World Series Thread **

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, by the way, Lane is definitely better than Encarnacion, and Wilson is definitely better than Rodriguez or Taguchi.

Also i'd rather have Backe on

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, that's why I said assuming Berkman is playing in the outfield because he wouldn't play over Pujols at first base.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's obvious you guys are gonna see what you want to see. Just watch how it plays out this year.

Oh, by the way, Lane is definitely better than Encarnacion, and Wilson is definitely better than Rodriguez or Taguchi.

Also i'd rather have Backe on my staff than either Suppan or Marquis. Those guys are trash. Backe is trash too in the regular season but at least he's money in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but 15 wins a season out of your 4 and 5 starters can hardly be considered trash.

B.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's obvious you guys are gonna see what you want to see. Just watch how it plays out this year.

Also i'd rather have Backe on my staff than either Suppan or Marquis. Those guys are trash. Backe is trash too in the regular season but at least he's money in the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Suppan isn't??? He's arguably been their BEST post-season starter.
Even you admit that Backe is trash in the regular season. Who is going to win the games after Pettite and Oswalt? Winning 2 of 5 won't get you to the playoffs. Gonna tell me about wonder rookies? Right.
You have yet to tell us all how the offense is demonstrably better than last year. Berkman will be back, that will help. But one man does not a team make. Do you honestly think that Preston Wilson can make the difference? Take off the fanboi glasses and honestly answer that question. Did any other team actually pursue Wilson? That ought to give you your answer.

Of course, I have just wasted the last 5 minutes of my life typing these things. You will simply ignore them, and continue to live in your beautiful fantasy world. Oh well. Can't fault me for trying.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As a Mets fan I can tell you right now that you will have no hair on your head left by the end of the season if Braden Looper sees 60 games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder this too. Looper has allowed 17 hits, three walks and eight earned runs in 8 2/3 innings this spring. He had a poor year last year and was bothered by shoulder problems. He was signed this offseason to a three year $13.5 contract. He hardly looks like a $5 million dollar per year pitcher at this point. Walt Jocketty usually knows what he is doing some only time will tell.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 04-01-2006, 01:11 AM

Old 04-01-2006, 06:59 AM

You've been to how many World Series? And of those, how many have you won? Just checking, because you sound like you think you are a relevant franchise.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:36 PM

aceshigh-perhaps you should look up how the Astros have historically faired at Busch Stadium

One game doesn't erase a history

Hell....the year before, the Stroke-offs went 0 for 4 in the NLCS at Busch including the Rocket choking on a 2 run lead in game 7 (IIRC, it was only the 2nd time in his previous 40 starts that he lost a 2+ run lead).....muahahhahhahhhaa
Old 04-01-2006, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Underrated? The guy went almost 2 years without a sacrafice fly, and almost all of his RBI come from homeruns most of which were solo shots. He has no concept of when to move a runner over, go the other way, just hit a flyball, etc. and he strikes out in key situations all the time. I used to live in Reds country, and most the Reds fans I knew even hated this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why Dunn is underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that meant to say that I am wrong in my assessment of Mr. Dunn? Care to expand?

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunn had a .387 OBP last year and hit 40 home runs. The year before, he had a .388 OBP and hit 46 home runs. The man can rake. It's that simple. All of the small ball skills you mention *might* add up to a win over the course of the season, but he's winning many games for the Reds with his stick.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

to bad thats when the celebration stoped

GO CARDS

FFFFFFF THE CUBBBS
Old 04-02-2006, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Underrated? The guy went almost 2 years without a sacrafice fly, and almost all of his RBI come from homeruns most of which were solo shots. He has no concept of when to move a runner over, go the other way, just hit a flyball, etc. and he strikes out in key situations all the time. I used to live in Reds country, and most the Reds fans I knew even hated this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why Dunn is underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that meant to say that I am wrong in my assessment of Mr. Dunn? Care to expand?

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunn had a .387 OBP last year and hit 40 home runs. The year before, he had a .388 OBP and hit 46 home runs. The man can rake. It's that simple. All of the small ball skills you mention *might* add up to a win over the course of the season, but he's winning many games for the Reds with his stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's too bad because I did have respect for your posts, but this is just ridiculous. To say that hitting sac. flys and not striking out in key situations "might add up to a win over the course of a season" is crazy. And yeah, Dunn walks a lot, hence the high OBP, but over the past two years he's also averaged around .250 with 180+ K's per season. There is a lot more to baseball than being able to hit homers in the most homer friendly park in the league.

B.