Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM

Default problem with tight table w/ 1 maniac

Hi all,

A few days ago, playing live 1/1 euro stakes NLHE, I was facing the following problem.
Normally the cash games I play are full of loose/weak players and some LAG’s. Playing a solid TAG game will net me a nice profit most of the time.
This particular night was different though. I was facing a 9 handed table with 6 players left of me, varying from weak/tight to semi-aggressive/tight. Next to them sat a maniac who seemed to hit all the time, raising a lot PF, floating and reraising, and dominating the table. After him was a solid TAG player who didn’t seem to catch playable hands. I had big trouble adjusting my game here. My PF raises only made everyone without monster hands fold, and the super LAG player seemed to get the best of me all the time, pushing me into a weak-tight game I normally never play. Most of the time, he had position on me, and I never quite knew where I stood with my holdings (no physical tells).

1) How would you guys handle this situation? I know I should consider better table selection, but I want to be able to beat this kind of game too.
2) Should I shift to LAG play in this situation? Can anybody give me some good pointers or point me to a place to begin studying some LAG play against a weak tight table? (since I’m not use to play like this).
3) Should I start making stands against the maniac with weaker holdings like J9o? How do I crack his game on this table? Or should I just get out of his way?

Fyi I had a 70 eur stack left and the maniac had a mega stack (about 300 I guess). Other stacks where all around 100 eur.