Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: possible reason arod signed early?

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, if the 10/275 deal goes through, it will be a good development for NY, better than him going to another team. Obviously him not opting out would have been preferable, but altogether I am happy with how it worked out. I find it a little hard to believe all the crap about how Arod was "beside himself" when he realized he might have to leave New York and then went back to the table without Boras, but whatever. I had originally been convinced he really did want to stay in NY and wouldn't opt out, and then when he did opt out (after obviously knowing he was going to opt out for a long time), I thought it was clear he was done with being treated like [censored] in NY and getting booed while putting up MVP seasons, but perhaps not. Who knows anymore.

If you think 10/275 is overpaying, you are greatly underestimating both how much Arod increases the yankees' chance of making the playoffs for the next couple years, and how much money the yankees have to spend. They have so much to lose by not having him on the team for the next couple seasons, and there aren't that many places where the Yankees can spend their money productively.

If what ended up happening was that Boras looked at the extension and said "Arod, you are worth much more than this, the Yankees are bluffing" and knew all along something like this was develop, he obviously played it brilliantly. People want to hate Boras and want it to be reprehensible for Arod to opt out and squeeze every last dollar out of NY, so they call it bad agenting because they think its greedy. Although the timing of the announcement was really, really stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

owseley..u seem to be looking past the fact that it was a 10 day window to negotiate once the WS ends. The Yankees were preparing to make their 1st offer during Game 4.

They key word is 1ST OFFER. It wasn't a take this offer or hit the road stance.

Boras was so confident that teams would be going nuts over Arod that he said " u can get more on the market Alex and the Yankees are just BSing, the day after we opt out they will be offering us bigger and bigger contracts and other teams will be bidding so it will make the size of the contract skyrocket...I'm so sure that there will be a bidding frenzy that I'm not going to even bother trying to milk the Yankees and see how high they will go before the opt out date."