Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Moving past 5NL?

1. To my mind, 27/20/2.5 is not LAG. You're playing more of a sLAG game. You're not truly "loose" until your VPIP is 30% or more, ESPECIALLY at a $5NL table.

2. Moving up from $5NL straight to $25NL is quite a jump. You can't really expect that the players won't be different in skill. I've always found a tremendous difference between $10NL and $25NL; I'm not sure if that's true at your preferred site, but it seems to be a fairly consistent "big jump" for skill levels.

3. You've got 1500 hands of experience and you're thinking about leaping forward from $5NL to $25NL -- perhaps you should consider the size of your sample. With ten times as many hands you could START to say you had developed a "feel" for the style, but as it stands I couldn't feel anywhere near comfortable yet.

4. You're wondering what you'll have to do to sustain your more than 33 PTBB/100 winrate. I'd say you'd have to peek at your opponents' cards, because that's a rather hefty target. If you expect to have a sustained winrate that is HALF that size, I'd suggest you might be in for an unpleasant surprise down the road.

5. LAG play is all about exploiting the profound postflop mistakes of your opponents. The bigger the discrepency in postflop skills, the more money a LAG can make. When you jump from $5NL to $25NL your opponents will get MARKEDLY better at postflop play; the odds that you can sustain this winrate go down precipitously, especially if you're not REALLY comfortable with the playstyle yet.

----------

Move up slowly and make sure you are comfortable with the playstyle before you try tackling opponents that you actually respect.