Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2007, 12:25 AM

Default Re: CNN Article putting Poker in a more positive light, highlighting s

[ QUOTE ]
Engineer et al.,

Glad you're having fun with Foes of Fun. However I would like to say, as I have in the past, that it's a lot more productive to our cause to attack the baseless arguments of our FOF foes, than to attack directly their organizations or motivations. We don't want them to thus be able to energize their own base by claiming we are attacking moral values. Rather, by demonstrating the flaws in their arguments, we will de-energize their base.

attacking stupid arguments > attacking the stupid arguer

[/ QUOTE ]

No the hearing didn't rally congress to run off an vote on poker yesterday. Yes there is a ton of work to be done.

But having a little fun at your opponets mistakes is part of politics.

We are not directly attacking their morals, just pointing out as the Congressman did that their moral crusade can easily be painted as the total elimination of fun.

That added to Annie's testimony that the average US player spends about $10 a week to me makes us more mainstream. We play poker, some of us, because it is entertaining and a very enjoyable way to spend $10 and a few hours time.

IMO that is the blind spot of current efforts. We have the pros and a number of the semi-pros, who suport or are netrual in part because some portion of their income is derived from poker. "We" haven't attempted to motivate your casual entertainment player.

IMO these are the players the grinders miss the most and the ones who left on-line because of the UIGEA myths, Site scandals, and some the ever present "on-line is rigged" sci-fi fears.

US grade A approval stamp and ease of deposit just might drag most of them back into the pre-UIGEA waters for all of you sharks to devour. Right now they are finding other outlets to enjoy the game of poker in bar leagues, home games, and fueling the expansion of B&M poker rooms.

IMO it is a bell curve, we have portions of either ends of the distribution in our numbers of 800k, the profit protecting motivated and the low hanging fruit of the freerollers. I've gone out an spoken to a couple of hundred fo the previous PP fan type former on-line players. They are still playing poker, but no matter how good our on-line reach is, we'll not gain enough. Someone perhaps all of us will have to go out and beat the bushes and round them up.

Just an opinion,

D$D